What's new

Def Tech BP30 Owners (1 Viewer)

DavidLC

Agent
Just bought a set of BP-30's. Need recommendation(s) for Mains and Center settings (large or small). Also, sub settings (sub only, sub both, and crossover point)

Set up is.....
Mains - Def Tech BP-30's
Center - Def Tech CLR 2000
Rear - Def Tech Studio Monitor 450
Sub - DIY Adire Audio Shiva 12" subwoofer (250 watt
Amp)
Yamaha RX-V620 Receiver

Room size 18' by 22'

Thanks,
Dave

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I also had BP-30s and a CLR 2000 up front for a while. (Could never find surrounds/rears that I liked, so I moved on...) Liked them a lot.

BP-30's have "output" into the 25 Hz range, but the -3 dB point is nearer to 30 Hz. I used the "small" setting and a 60 Hz crossover. For the CLR 2000, "small" and an 80 Hz crossover.

I subscribe to the "set the crossover freq at 1/2 to 1 full octave above the - 3dB point" because it prevents the imposed crossover of the receiver or pre/pro from being interfered with by the natural roll off of the speaker. If that interference is there, you get a dip in response at the crossover freq.

I assume by "sub both", that that means low freq info to the mains and the sub? I have never liked that setting because it "doubles" the bass info in the mains and sub. I have never understood why manufacturers even offer this setting...

DavidLC

Agent
Kevin / Lewis -
Thank you for the help. Set the speakers as you recommended....WOW !!!! Breaking them in now.

Next on the list is to upgrade the Reciever.

Thanks again !!!! ;) :)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
David- A small story for you too.

Had the Def Tech setup. Bipolar dispersion, right? I really like the "wall of sound" effect, big fat sweet spot, and a little more laid back presentation. I wanted to try something new/different. So I swapped all of the Def Techs (and ... I had had Def Techs in my system for years), and went with a complete Vandersteen system. Loved them. Awesome, pinpoint imaging. But I just could not get over that if you moved you head 6 inches in any one direction, the sound quality changes. So I went back to bipolar, well omnipolar, with Mirage.

The point is, if I had known then what I know now, I might have actually just held on to the BP-30's and CLR 2000 up front, and searched a little harder for surrounds & rears that I liked. (I tried floorstander BP-20's that I had up front prior to the BP-30's, but they weren't "tall" enough for in the back of a room. I then tried direct radiators from Energy and Acoustic Energy, but personally, I came to the conclusion that I don't like direct radiators in the back of the room for movie soundtracks. I should have tried a combo of Def Tech dipoles for the sides and the Studio Monitors you have for the rears. Oh well...! )

Enjoy your system! :)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Kevin:

I have the BP2Xs in the rears and love them. I have them parallel with my couch at the rear of the room and they give me a continued "wall of sound" effect from the front of the room to the back. So I have them more in a sides position that a rear position but I found when I got them dialed into the room this gave me the best overall sound.

Now what I would LOVE to try some day is Maggies all the way around.

Parker

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Parker- Ahhh, that it the ulitmate test though. If you can find a speaker that is *not* too localizable when placed directly beside you. Direct radiators just didn't cut it for me, but sounds like dipoles can work well.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I keep forgetting that... :b

To be honest, me myself and I, I believe that bipole/omnipolar surrounds are the best compromise between direct radiating (for multichannel music) and dipoles (diffuseness for movie soundtracks).

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Two other ways are switchable surrounds (bipole or monopole and dipole), or ... I do know of some people that actually use two different speakers back there, and physically switch back and forth. That about cover it for you Lewis? :)

(My personall problem with switchable surrounds, is that they rarely calibrate the same in the different modes they have. So somehow you or your receiver/pre-pro has to take that into account. Not a deal-breaker, but an important detail nonetheless.)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Not really as I don't use any type of multi pole speakers anymore.I thought you might remembered,that I favour direct radiators all around,hence my short "burp" above.:) I did go through all the variations,and I simply like monopoles better,for all around surround duty.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
To each their own liking... That is why there are so many speakers out there. I went back to dipoles from direct radiators. (Same large matching towers in the front and back) Ok for music but I really missed the diffused sound on movies which is mostly 95% of what we do in this room. I also prefer my music in the pure mode with all the sound up front anyway so no harm no fowl. If you do go for dipoles just don't cheap it out on them. Many many years ago I had an Atlantic Tech set up and they had cheap dipoles they worked ok but it was just not up to par. Of course as the years grow and you wind up finding other things to step up to (upgradeitis) you wind up changing your mind many times on some things and thats ok. I have spent way too much money going from small, to med. to largers and better components over the last 10+ years. Wish I would have just done it right from the beginning but then there was not all the help that we have like from forums like theses. And the ability to either order and try or pick up from your local audio/video store to take home and try as well.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I have had the same BP 20s and CLR 1000 for over 12 years now and they are still kicking. When I added the BP2X for the surrounds I have been nothing but pleased with the total over all sound of my system. With my Outlaw 950 and 770 poweramp now all I have to worry about is whether or not my family is at home. If they are gone look out because the joint is going to be rocking. If they are here it is back to am radio days (as far a the sound goes).

I just love the envelope of sound that you get from a well set up bipole setup. That is my taste. Now for 2 channel music that is another thing all together. For that it has either got to be Maggies or Altec Lansing VOTs. How is that for a mix?

My feeling is this. If the sound that I hear from the speakers pulls me in and speaks to me then that is the setup I want. I have heard speakers that cost thousands of dollars that didn't do a thing for me.

The great thing about speakers is that they are so personal. Just like the music and dialogue that we put through them.

I admire all of your passions towards the speakers that you choose to listen to in your own home. I feel bad for the person that cannot find their own speaker nirvana.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks