What's new

Def Tech BP2000TL Owners. (1 Viewer)

John H

Second Unit
I used the "original" BP2000 for a few years. They were silent when the subwoofer section powered up and went into standby.
My C/L/R 3000 produces an audible thump. Does the 2000TL exhibit a thump when switching also?
John
------------------
Link Removed

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
My subs on my 2000tl's are silent when they come on.
Are you using the same electronics as before? If so, write to DefTech and tell them about the problem. It sounds like something might be wrong with that center.

John H

Second Unit
This is the second C/L/R 3000 I have used. For a few months I stepped back down to a C/L/R 2000.
I spoke with Def Tech and they confirmed that the C/L/R 3000 does indeed produce a thud when the internal power turns on and back to standby. I was told the reason for this is the internal powered section uses a pre/amp power amp combination.
John
------------------
Link Removed

Hello,
I own a pair of the BP2000TLs and there is no amp turn on noise.
I also own a pair of the BP2004s for my surrounds and they are silent also.
Happy listening

PomingF

Second Unit
Boy, it's been so long since I last touch those switches at the back of my BP2000's. I believe there's a 'thud' either at turn on or off exactly which I forgot but at one time there was the only way I can tell if the SW amp was on or not (by turning off the Tipplite they plugged into) for I am running them with an HGS-18 making it real hard to tell where the bass comes from. I've had those DT's for almost four years now. Either way the amps are dead quiet after turned on making it essentially a non issue.
PF

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
I have the 2000TL and I agree with the others...no thudding or thumping whatsoever when music starts to play. John are you considering getting these amazing speakers?

John H

Second Unit
John are you considering getting these amazing speakers?
I had my dealer deliver a pair last night. :)
I used the original BP2000 for several years. I replaced them in January of this year with some BP30's which I ran highpassed at 80 Hz. I wanted to try something different.
The BP30's are nice but just seemed to be lacking on full range DVD-Audio and SACD.
I noticed the newer TL models have deleted the "subwoofer crossover trim" and on/off manual override switch. They do have upgraded "all metal" binding posts and an added low level LFE input. I was told by Def Tech tech that the LFE input bypasses the subwoofers internal crossover filter.
I have the highs and mid/bass biwired and am using the full range low level inputs.
I use Avia to match the upper and lower sections levels before overall system calibration with VE. They are highpassed at 40Hz. The deep lows are rolled off into my stand alone subs and tactile transducer setup.
This is the same wiring configuration and calibration method I used on my original 2000's.
They are indeed silent when powering up and going into standby as others reported. I don't know how they failed with the C/L/R 3000?
After running some demo material I would say these are a very nice addition to my system.
John
------------------
Link Removed

PomingF

Second Unit
John:
I think something needs to be clarified here. I believe your question is whether there is a 'thud' upon initial turn on using the switch NOT with the amp on when music first comes through, right? If not then my answer would be no, I don't hear anything other than source info AFTER the amp is on whether there is music coming through or not.
PF

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
quote: After running some demo material I would say these are a very nice addition to my system.[/quote]
John it's going to get MUCH better after a lot of break in (I needed to play a lot of material with bright highs before the highs became crisp and clear w/o being bright)! Do you have the subs firing outward? If you have them firing outward, you can get away with very little toe in because the tweeters are angled inward.
Let us know how your 2000TL's (maybe after break in!) compare with the original 2000's.
Enjoy!
[Edited last by Bob_A on July 28, 2001 at 03:31 AM]

John H

Second Unit
I believe your question is whether there is a 'thud' upon initial turn on using the switch NOT with the amp on when music first comes through, right?
PF,
The BP2000 "TL" model does not have a power switch nor does the C/L/R 3000. Only auto on. Are you refering to the original BP2000?
Bob A,
Yes, I have my subwoofers facing to the outside. I use a laser devise to aim the tweeters directly at the center listening position. I have experimented extensively with variuos degrees of toe in with my original 2000's and prefer this position.
John
------------------
Link Removed

PomingF

Second Unit
John:
Reading your earlier post you're probably right since mine were four years old model but as I said other than a slight 'thud' @ initial turn on there is no noise what-so-ever and I can't think of why Def Tech want to 'improve' on this 'cause my Velodyne HGS-18 also has this auto sensing feature where the amp would turn itself off after like 15 minutes w/o input but if any signal happen to come through at the time it's switching off things can be quite unpredictable. Consequently I had it settled on manual switching so to avoid the problem. :)
PF
[Edited last by PomingF on July 28, 2001 at 06:49 PM]

Hubert

Second Unit
I have 3000TLs and 2000TLs in the rear. The only noise I hear when powered up is a very faint clicking. Other than that, I hear no thud or loud noise.

John H

Second Unit
Hubert,
Just curious.What center channel are you using?
John
------------------
Link Removed

Hubert

Second Unit
John, I have the CLR3000. Come to think of it, I do hear a very small thud or click when the center comes on, but not the towers. I thought you were specifically talking about the towers.
This sound is normal and the center speaker has been working flawlessly. My M&K sub used to do that when powering up.
[Edited last by Hubert on July 29, 2001 at 12:22 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks