What's new

Def Tech bipolar rear mounting speaker problems. (1 Viewer)

I'am having a hard time figuring out the best place for the rear speakers. I have the BPVX/P speakers for the rear L/R channels. I currently have these speakers mounted at about 5 1/2 feet high on the side wall, and about 7 feet behind the listening position. They are mounted less than a foot from the rear wall. My other option is to mount them to side of the listening position about 1 foot behind the listening position there is no problem with height on the side walls. In the manual it states to mount them just behind the listening position. If any has any thoughts on mounting these speakers to the side or leaving them to side I would really appreciate some advice. The way they are mounted know it seems there is a gap between the sound. The distance between the the front speakers and the side mounted would be about 14 foot feet. Were as the distance the way the speakers are set up now are almost 22 feet. Thanks for the input. Richard Goode

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
If possible, try experimenting with both positions and go with what works best for you. Also try a search regarding bipolar speaker placement in the rear. Finally, you could email Def Tech: [email protected] Good luck!

Alex F.

Second Unit
Richard:

In general, the ideal location for a wall-mounted bipolar surround speaker is several inches to about one foot behind the listening position, and about 6.5 to 7 feet above the floor. This was first suggested to me several years ago by Mirage, and I have found that it works beautifully. Your room seems perfect for this arrangement. Expect wide, deep, expansive surround sound, with no gaps between the front and surround speakers.

John H

Second Unit
My other option is to mount them to side of the listening position about 1 foot behind the listening position there is no problem with height on the side walls.
I would recommend this option over your current placement. As for height... I have my BPVX tweeters 2½' above ear level. If possible experiment with tweeter height.
I would also suggest a 60-80Hz highpass on your BPVX/P's. I used 4 BPVX/P's in my system for several months and have swithched back to the unpowered BPVX.
John

Thanks to everyone above for the advice. I will try the side placement and let you know what the results are. I also have a pair of pro monitor 100 that i'm using for the back surround in a 6.1 matrix. These will now be about 7 to 8 feet behind the listening position. These are on a fixed position(they are actually on the mantle of the fireplace which is located on the rear wall). They are about 6 feet high. Probably the only good thing is that they are a direct radiating speakers. I dont use the matrix 6.1 much in my system. Not really sure if it will be that affective because they are so far behind the listening position. Thanks for the input. Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks