1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Def leppard and the song Gods of War

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeH1, Oct 7, 2001.

1. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Today, just a little while ago I put in the classic disc hysteria while I was driving to the video store. Gods of War came on and it brought a chill down my spine. I have always thought it was genius but today after what with is going on in the world, it made me think hard. I wont go into details because Ill be into the no politics talk and the thread will be closed. Not that it really matters because I dont expect much to come of this thread. But it IS a good song...

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Def Leppard, "Genius", and "Classic" all in the same post?

3. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Camp, that particular disc IS classic. Hysteria is what the late 1980s was all about. Sitting around a campfire drinking some cold beverages, this is one of the few that can get thrown in the CD player and not have to skip any songs( although Pour some sugar on me I might just because of it getting the overplay treatment) Perhaps not for everyone, but still good top 40 rock. And compared to the boybands ruling the airwaves today, I am sure most will agree. Def Leppard, after this album, slid into rock and roll obscurity. I remember April of 1992 and being very dissapointed with the following disc. Then they started writing ballads... now it was the end.
    The band left us with Hysteria and personally I think its one of the best discs of the entire decade. Then again, what do I know? I don't write for Rolling Stone and give 4 stars to every Neil Young release. Or Bob Dylan. Or STP. Or Radiohead.... [​IMG]

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Many of the "rock" (read: hair) bands that I listened to in the 80's (hey, I was in high school, okay?) I am now embarassed to even admit to.
    Def Leppard is not one of those bands. True, I'm not a big fan anymore, but I definitely give Hysteria a spin every year or two. It's a solid rock album with songs that transcend the "hair" genre.
    BTW, I caught their Behind The Music or whatever on VH1. Very interesting watch.

5. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

DL was one of the top bands of the '80s. Those that label them as just part of the big-hair glam bands, dont know their music or history. They were quite innovative in a lot of ways for their time. The music buying public recognized that and thus made them one of the top bands 3 albums in a row. Sure they had the excesses that follow rock success, but their music with Mutt was top notch for the time and is still great.
    Just dont say they were just another big-hair band. Ignorance is not bliss. [​IMG]
    ------------------

6. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

7. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Image was certainly a focal point of the Big-Hair era and inevitably locked in what most people will remember (and label) about that time - style over substance. However, talent was still very evident in many of those bands. DEF LEPPARD was a prime example. Very good songwriters/arrangers as well as performers. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The Dark Tower
    [​IMG]
    Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?