What's new

deer hunter overated and heavens gate under rated? (1 Viewer)

chris winters

Second Unit
just curious what people think. Is the acclaimed flick The Deer Hunter overated and is the directors follow up Heaven's Gate underated with its universal panning by critics?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I haven't spent much time on HTF in a while, but is this a thoroughly covered topic, or is it just that the question is kind of pointless?

My two cents. I think Deer Hunter is a great film. I saw Heaven's Gate years ago and did not think it was anything near awful. Beautiful, meandering and mostly forgettable.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I think you may get every possible combination of answers in this thread.

My vote: They're both Overrated.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I only saw The Deer Hunter once(and a P&S VHS copy at that), but I did feel it was overrated. The Russian Roulette scene was horrifying, but the rest of the movie didn't do much for me.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

I haven't seen Heaven's Gate, but is it really possible for a movie that's practically synonymous with "big pretentious disaster" to be overrated? Although, George, maybe this is your pushback against the "no, it's really good, the critics were all wrong!" revisionist review that one occasionally runs into for this movie. :)

I only saw Deer Hunter on P&S video many years ago, before I even knew what aspect ratio was, and I thought it was very powerful.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’ve now seen The Deer Hunter three times and have liked it less each time. I was impressed on first viewing, but on reflection thought that some of the things that were being presented struck a false note.

That feeling has deepened with each viewing.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Which just goes to prove that a film you "like and want to see again" might not always hold indefinitely.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The answer is yes. This movie gets 2 out of 4 bones from Videohound. It's IMDB rating is 6.2 out of 10 (including 21.9% voting it 10 out of 10, more than any other rating). And the only reason I saw the film was because it was on some list (I can't remember which one) of "great films". Hell the film got a nomination at Cannes. So yes, it is definitely over-rated.

Ben Osborne

Second Unit

Reviews on IMDB and sites like Amazon are heavily biased toward fans of the film being reviewed. People who don't like a movie are a lot less likely to look it up on IMDB or Amazon.com let alone write a review for it. Critics who panned Heaven's Gate when it came out years ago probably haven't given it much thought since then. I find the reviews at Rotten Tomatoes to be a much better indicator of the general consesus about a movie. Heaven's Gate has 47%. I find that much more believable than a few 10/10 reviews from hard-core fans.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Critics like Deer Hunter because it's anti-war without being anti-American -- in the end everybody is able to sing "God Bless America."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks