1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I'm hoping to get to my copy of the Deer Hunter in the Near future, its one of my favorite films, will let you know if I can.

Sam

3. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

Just watched this one today. The deer hunting scenes are absolutely GORGEOUS. Overall, a great transfer.

It's hard to believe I ever thought the non-anamorphic DVD (my second DVD ever purchased back when I got an board with the format in 1998) looked good.

4. Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert Supporting Actor

Watched it last night. I have seen this film many times. Owned a P&S vhs from the early 90's, then a letterbox copy from the late 90's. Didn't buy the non-anamorphic DVD and held out for HD when the legacy version was released.

This HD-DVD is pretty incredible. I hesitate to say this, but it's almost like there are scenes here that look too "good", ie clear and sharp. Sometimes reconciling between the original intended look of a film with what is capable today with HD telecine transfers of good film elements and digital cleanup is difficult. Maybe this is the absolute, correct original intention. I dunno.

In any case it was a great viewing experience.

5. Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert Supporting Actor

If a special edition dvd was released in the last year or so with a new transfer, you can be 99% sure that master was used for the HD-DVD release.