"Deer Hunter" has pauseless layer change!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jesse Skeen, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Someone returned a DVD of "The Deer Hunter" to the store I work at because it froze up at the 97:20 mark. To verify that the disc was defective (and because I've never seen the movie before) I took it home and played it. I suspected the bad spot was where the layer change was, but skipping to that spot I didn't notice any. I watched the entire 3-hour movie straight through and didn't notice a layer change at all.
    Afterwards I went back to the trouble spot the customer had reported, this time looking through the front of my Pioneer DVL-909 which will let you lift down the opening of the disc drawer to peek in at the disc and laser inside. When it hit 97:20 I could hear the laser make the sound it usually makes when doing a layer change, though there was NO pause at all! I set the player on repeat a few times, watching the counter and checking for any pause or sound dropouts, and there was absolutely none to be noticed!
    I put the disc in my Playstation 2 and initially it skipped around that spot, but taking the disc out and cleaning it solved that problem; it too played through with no pause to speak of.
    I'd read earlier of some of Universal's titles having "Seamless" layer changes but hadn't seen any myself til this one. I heard they gave up on seamless changes because of player problems, which explains why someone returned this disc, but it played fine on my machine, and since the layer change on "Monsters Inc" locks up my player that proves the 'non-seamless' layer changes aren't 100% glitch-free either!
    While much more tolerable than the side breaks on laserdiscs, I do find layer pauses annoying and now that I've seen one play through like this, I have to ask why don't more discs do this?? Surely they could figure out how to make it not pause AND not lock up some people's machines!

2. Rain

Rain Producer

Another question is why aren't DVD players built to compensate for these kinds of things?

If we can have portable CD players that "read ahead" to eliminate skipping, couldn't we have a similar thing on a DVD player to eliminate the pause?

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Much of this is on a disc per disc basis, depending on how the layers align. I agree that there should be bigger buffers to eliminate any transition.

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

5. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

many of those cheap DVD players (APEX and the like) are really just DVD-ROM drives in them. I know that's the case with my Apex 3201.

6. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

DVD-ROM drives are better at not pausing during layer changes, correct?