What's new

Deeper bass (1 Viewer)

castlerock31

Auditioning
Real Name
Sub Woofer
I recently purchased a Yamaha YHT-397BL 5.1 channel 600w HTiB. I finished setting the system up, and the audio was great but the sub-woofer seemed a bit light for my taste. Set at the recommended level, the sub was barely noticeable in the 400 ft room. Yet if I turn it up, it begins to bottom out. I acquired a second Yamaha sub and ran a RCA splitter to power them both through the sub out. Now, with both speakers maxed the bass is decent but I was hoping to increase it considerably more. My next thought is to get an amp to increase their power. Will this work? How powerful of an amp do I need?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Your first mistake was buying a HTIB system. Then you had to buy a second sub because you weren't happy with the HTIB bass output. And now you want to buy an amp to help the subwoofers output. When you add all this up are you really saving much money over buying separates? I would suggest returning the HTIB if it's not too late, and starting a system with seperate components.

castlerock31

Auditioning
Real Name
Sub Woofer
Right now I have a Yamaha system for under $500. Is a component based system possible for that price?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Right now I have a Yamaha system for under $500. Is a component based system possible for that price?
You have a system that you don't like for $500. But you might consider is just getting a much better sub and just using it. (Sell the original one.) I suggest starting with Hsu or SVS.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
castlerock31 said:
With the name "sub woofer", I wouldn't bet on it. What are your goals? Do you want to recreate the explosions in action movies?
After looking at that system online, it looks decent except for the sub. It's a little 8" model tuned to about 35hz. You wasted your money on buying a second sub. The best value sub on the market is the $200 BIC F-12. If you want to take the next step up, it's the Epik Legend. From there, it's whatever your budget can handle all the way to Thor's Hammer by Wilson Audio ($20,000). http://www.wilsonaudio.com/product_thor_theater.shtml
I only use Wilson as an extreme price point. I'd put my current DIY sub up against it any day of the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks