DeepDiscountDvd, anyone use them?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher Carr, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Christopher Carr

Christopher Carr Stunt Coordinator

Well I would just like to know because I am confused about a couple of things:
    Before I read something that someone had ordered a movie and they did not get that movie until 2 weeks later. Now has anyone ordered something and had it shipped basically really soon or is the two weeks thing including a time where they do not ship it to the time the person actually gets it?
    Or is it the shipping that took 2 weeks? Because they say their standard shipping is 5-10 days which is just the same shipping as 3-7 days because they have the Standard Shipping, 2 Day Shipping or Overnight delievery...so has anyone had long delays from the time the product is shipped to the time it arrives? Because I ordered CARRIE:SE last week and they shipped it out on thursday, and tomorrow is the eighth day it has been shipped...
    For purchase wise with their no shipping, they have pretty good deals on movies. I got CARRIE:SE, THE HOWLING and KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTERSPACE for less than 35 bucks! The only expensive thing was CARRIE but that was only three bucks more than the 10 dollar each HOWLING and KKFOS. But the only thing that I have a problem about with their site is, they should have more of a product availablity number. Like how many copies they have in stock so that people who order something that is on BACKORDER can see if they should get it there or not. Because if an order is cancelled or backordered, they only respond later with an email after you have made the purchase. If only they did some little things differently then it would be an awesome place!!!
    ------------------
    "I don't want to kiss you here...I want to kiss you- there."
    "You can put it anywhere"
    "Kathryn, the only thing you are going to be riding is me!"

2. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

Their free shipping uses media mail which takes about a week or more. I have a current order myself that is going on two weeks now and it still has not arrived. They shipped it on Aug. 16 and will give it a few more days until calling customer service if it doesn't arrive very soon. Typically I received orders 7 days after shipment. You could upgrade shipping to priority mail for $3.95 if you want your shipments faster.
    ------------------
    My Movie Collection on DVD and Laser Disc

3. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

4. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I have ordered four DVD's from them, using the free shipping option each time. I have never had any problems at all. I received each DVD within one week of ordering!
    I highly recommend them. I have Memento on pre-order!

5. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Chuck,
    Why would you buy Gump from DeepDiscount for $20.69 - and have to wait a week or so to receive it - when Best Buy is offering it for $17.99 - and you can have it today?
    I'm not trying to be smart, but I don't understand why so many folks purchase new releases by mail (usually paying shipping costs as well) when the major chains invariably offer new releases for significantly lower prices.
    Or am I missing something here?
    Jon
    ------------------
    "This one goes to eleven." (Nigel Tufnel)

6. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

Jon_Are,
    You of course don't count sales tax in your price from Best Buy. Unless you live in Illinois, the Deep Discount price is the total price. No tax, no shipping. With tax, the best buy price goes around $19.50 (assuming 8%). For less than a buck, I can have it delivered to my door without standing around in Best Buy for hours waiting for the 1 cashier to check out the 100 customers in line. Seems like a fair trade to me. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Adrian Jones

7. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    RE: The shipping policy: You can opt for priority mail for $3.95, regardless of the size of the order, which is a great deal, but... DEEP DISCOUNT ships as they get the movies in, and only your FIRST shipment of a multiple-shipment order is sent priority. The way to best take advantage of their deals (most all of the $14.95 list titles sell for $9.36!) is to order what shows as being IN STOCK. If you pre-order several DVD's, whatever becomes
    available first will go out priority, and the rest via media, which means you might get the first pre-order by or before street, but the rest as long as a week afterward.

8. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Ive used them many times and never once had a problem with them. Only disadvantage is theyre in a Chicago suburb, and Im in a Chicago suburb too, so I have to pay tax, but the good news is, I usually get the movies 2-3 days after they ship with the free Media Mail option, so I dont have to spend any extra money to upgrade shipping.

9. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Not only does tax have to figured in, but some people, like me, have to travel quite a ways to get to a Best Buy. Doesn't do me any good to get Gump at $17.99 when I must spend $10 in gas (at the current inflated Minnesota gas prices) to get there.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV

10. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I've ordered 10 or so DVDs from DeepDiscount and have been very happy. Older to slightly-older titles are priced well and they guarantee to beat any other online competitor - I've had them do this before - even if it's only by a dime.

11. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

I use Deep Discount DVD all the time. Sometimes preordered movies arrive before the release date, sometimes after. For instance I preordered Waiting for Guffman and it arrived the day before release date. On the other hand I also preordered Forrest Gump and it's still not here. 5-10 days is how long it takes for shipping, and actual shipping time spans that entire range from 5 to 10 days.
    ------------------
    This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

12. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Dick, you mentioned checking to see what items are "in stock". How do you do that? I just ordered the Emma Peel Mega Set on Friday, went through the whole check out process and everything. I didn't see anything saying it was not in stock. However, I got an e-mail today stating it is "due 8th of September". So I presume that to mean they don't expect stock (or more stock) until that date. As Christopher posted earlier, it would sure help if the person ordering could see how much, if any, stock is available! I had intended this as a gift, and now it will be cutting it close! This is my first order with them, so any info would be appreciated!
    By the way, if you can get media mail delivery in 1 - 2 weeks, that's pretty good. Wherever I order, I don't use media mail, as it takes 4 - 6 weeks to reach Hawaii. And, we don't have a Best Buy either! Sigh. . . [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Elizabeth S on August 30, 2001 at 03:04 AM]

13. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

I haved used DeepDiscountDVD to buy no less than 50 DVDs from them, and each of them arrived in 15-20 days. I don't know why it takes so long, but you can't beat their prices. I always tell them to send Media Mail so I don't have to pay shipping.
    Anyway, the reason that I highly reccomend them, is because *TWICE* they sent me DVDs that had the "Press Here" tab completely broken inside the case, leaving the DVD to roam around freely inside the case, and by the time it got to my house, the DVD was COMPLETELY scracthed and un-playable. I know that it was their fault that I recieved the DVD in bad conditon...it was the Post Office's fault, for not handing it properly. Anyway, I just called them up BOTH times, and they quickly send me REPLACEMENT DVDs, and *EVEN* sent me a Postage-Paid address label to send back the scratched DVDs...I didn't have to pay a single penny to send back the messed up DVDs!!!
    I highly reccomend using them, as most online places will not give you new ones, because they come scratched....after all, it really isn't their fault that the mail is not careful in handling packages.
    I ordered from DVDempire.com, and one of the DVDs I ordered, came with the DVD loose inside the case, and of course, all scratched, and I asked for them to send me a replacement, but they made me pay $4 extra dollars just to send the scratched DVD back to them!!! At least I got it replaced, but I had to pay WAY more than what the DVD was worth in the end.

14. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

I use DDDVD for most of my DVD purchases. Since I live in the midwest, I have generally received my orders within 2-3 days using the free shipping option.

15. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

I've used Deep Discount to order literally 100s of DVDs. It's the only place that I order from unless I have a coupon. I've only had one problem with them and they corrected quickly. My Marilyn Monroe set hadn't showed up after 2 1/2 weeks. I called them. They said that the set was currently out of stock, but they would ship me a replacement as soon as they got their new stock in. You just can't beat customer service like that. Also, I love the fact that you can call and talk to an ACTUAL human being. I stopped buying from buy.com because they did away with their customer service.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Adrian Jones

16. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I must add my positive experiences to all the others. Deep Discount has probably the best customer service of any company I've dealt with. I've ordered over 100 DVDs from them and have never had a problem. I highly recommend them!

17. Russ Felton

Russ Felton Stunt Coordinator

I pre-ordered Akira from them and it arrived on the day of release. I have used them several times and only once did it take a couple of weeks for something to arrive (the items in were on back order). Overall Deep discount DVD has been reliable in my experience.
    Russ

18. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

19. Seung Kim

Seung Kim Agent

Yup as of today on August 30, I am still waiting for my Forrest Gump to be delivered which I preordered LONG time ago.
    I had no problems but long waiting time of receiving them.
    Usually takes me 1 1/2 weeks to receive my orders.
    [​IMG]

20. Doug_R

Doug_R Auditioning

I've used DeepDiscount since they opened and had great luck. I mostly pre-order DVDs, and have only once purchased a currently released movie. It takes about 5-7 for me to get my package in the mail. Though, with my Forrest Gump DVD preorder, it shipped on Thurs and I received it on Tues.
    Overall, I've had nothing but great service with them. Recommended.