What's new

Deep Throat on NBC tonight (1 Viewer)

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
No, not THAT Deep Throat, pervert. There is a 2-hour special about theories and efforts to determine the Washington Post / Watergate informant. I think a group of students at some University will be featured. I kind of want this person to die already so his identity will become known.

Chris

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Ancient history. Tell me one good reason why there's a burning need to know this person's identity and I have some bridges to sell you. :D

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
Michael, no kidding. It's not as if he was the only one talking to Woodward and Bernstein. There was also the bookkeeper from CRP, and people from Justice and other departments as well. Deep Throat gave them first-hand info, and kept them on the right tracks, but they always tried to get confirmations before they printed anything.

Chris

OK that was dumb, only about 30 minutes of coverage on that story...anyway, they said they narrowed it down to 7 potential people, and while they were in no position to make certainties, they all thought that of those 7, indeed of all the possible "suspects," Pat Buchanan best fit the evidence.

I don't know much about the story (was born in 1976) but have read a few books on the subject and on Nixon's administration. And while I don't have the slightest clue who Deep Throat is, at least Buchanan makes sense, as he did have access to knowledge within the White House and Executive Branch, while not being directly involved in any intelligence-gathering or political sabatoge, as he wrote speeches and the daily WH summaries. Any thoughts?

Chris

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
I don't have any theories.... I wasn't even alive at the time. But I do recall reading somewhere that Woodward and Bernstein do intend on revealing who their source was, for history's sake, after he/she dies. So it will eventually come out I guess...

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Yeah, Robert, I had always heard it surmised that Haig was Deep Throat.

- Steve

Craig_T

Second Unit
Hasn't Woodward has already said publicly that Haig was not Deep Throat? They should just say publically who he is since it's been 30 years now and they already broke their promise of not revealing their source to anyone since Woodword told Ben Bradlee after Nixon resigned who Deep Throat was. I doubt it's Buchannan. I'd rather it be Ben Stein, as he was a speechwriter for Nixon too. Since Woodward claims he still keeps in touch with Deep Throat, I think the government should tap his phones and follow him around to find out. Just the irony alone would make it worthwhile.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
The Washington Post ran an article about five years ago and speculated that acting FBI Director L. Patrick Gray was the most likely candidate.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
The most likely answer is that Deep Throat is actually a group of sources, rather than a single person.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
The most likely answer is that Deep Throat is actually a group of sources, rather than a single person.
I have always half suspected that this is the case. It would sure be a let down to many people if true. I will have to say that Buchannan makes a good candidate thought as he is a little out there compared to most republicans.

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
www.washingtonpost.com has alot of coverage on the subject (for obvious reasons) including Woodward's claims that Deep Throat is:
Still Alive
One person
A male
One thing that is sort of curious is that Throat hasn't tried to capitalize on his fame, as everyone these days seems to (books, interviews, speaking tours...) And of course, this keeps his much speculated motives unknown.
Chris

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Anyone think it's Henry Kissenger (sp?)? He had first hand knowledge of the goings-on of the White House and even has a deep, gravelly voice. Some rumors abound that he hated Nixon, or at least was displeased with him.

Hmmm...

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks