Deep thoughts on capacitors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ColinM, Apr 4, 2002.

1. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

No high-zoot equipment here - I just rec'd my PE 250w plate amp for my 20*39.

The caps are tiny compared to other high output amps I've seen. 6800uF x2 vs 100,000 or more on hi-buck amps.

What gives?

Are these small caps ok for subwoofage? Does that matter at all? What would happen if I got a hold of some bigger (appropriate) caps and modded the amp? Kinda like when I swapped out the old 2-barrel for the 750cfm Holley but left everything else stock....

Any reply appreciated, thanks.

2. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

That seems awfully less for a sub amp considering subs require more current for better woofer control (and hence tighter bass). You could always replace them with big bad ones and you should notice better impact in the bass with it. Make sure you stay in the voltage range specified for the CAP and ofcourse replace them with the same kind (radial, screw type..). You can go up in capacitance to your desired value. I have seen some computer grade low ESR eletrolytic caps of more than 50,000 mF capacitance for as low as $25. Just think what the amp will do with two of those bad babies in there..... Can you feel the thump in your gut already?

3. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I remember reading somewhere to be careful with randomly increasing capacitance, even if you stick to the voltage rating. There's something about how that affects the bridge rectifier diodes, or a power transistor, or the transformer, or something - basically, too much capacitance can place a load on some other component which can cause it to fail. I don't remember the details, and I probably did not understand the specifics when I read it.