What's new

Deep Space Nine: For the Fans (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I am a fan of all of Trek, but TOS and DS9 hold a special place in my heart.

We are currently in the final arc of the series (first time through it). I really appreciate DS9 for a variety of reasons. It is such an awesome show, with top-notch writing much of the time. I have loved for years how the series has primary, secondary, and tertiary characters, and how even at the third level these characters are frequently developed very well.

Last night, we watched Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges and Penumbra. I was pleased to see the ice broken between Worf and Ezri. I also liked how she didn't back down from him, and stood her ground. And I love the Breen angle. That's a species that to me is quite intriguing. I wish we could have learned a lot more about them. This series could have gone on for a couple more years, and I would not have tired of it.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Sam Favate said:
Anyone still out there watching? We finished "Sacrifice of Angels" last night, one of the show's best. The show is all new to my wife, who can't believe it keeps getting better.
I think the show was never better than in the 5th season finale and first 6 episodes of season 6. It was like a Winds of War tapestry, with so many characters in different storylines.
We just this weekend revisted this seven episode arc. It's definitely one of the best arcs ever on any Star Trek series. (Rivaling even the 10 episode "finale'" at the end of DS9's 7th Season). And the repercussions of Sisko's appeal to the Prophets in "Angels" runs all the way through the balance of the series. Now *that's* continuity!!
I've often wondered what Voyager would have been like if it had ever had the courage to attempt an arc of this nature.
BTW, I bet your wife is really going to enjoy the next episode ("You Are Cordially Invited ...") ;)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Dax's change of personality in "the Ship" was due to them being subjected to the orbital bombardment for hour and hours. She was showing the stress from lack of sleep and the constant nearby explosions. That is why the military use loud music to get people to come out of buildings (ie: Panama)

If you notice, all of the Star Fleet folk were acting more and more irrational as time went by in that episode (once the bombardment started).

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Ockeghem said:
hold a special place in my heart.
We are currently in the final arc of the series (first time through it).
To quote the great Samuel L. Jackson (in the movie Jurassic Park) "Hold on to your Butts!!" That final arc ends in a rush!! You're in for a treat!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Joseph Bolus:
We watched "Necessary Evil" last night, which I think is one of the series' best episodes. I like how it utilized Lost-style flashbacks a decade before Lost came into being.
Agreed. Necessary Evil is a top-notch episode. I often watch it in conjunction with Things Past; I like the parallelism between Kira and Odo at (or near) the conclusions of both episodes.
BTW, nice commentary on Sanctuary and James Sloyan. He's got one of those voices--whether he's Jarok, or Jetrel, or whomever--that is very distinct. Another of those is Joseph Ruskin (Galt in The Gamesters of Triskelion, elder Klingon in LFPIATWP, and (I think) the clandestine Cardassian informant that Odo goes to visit (without revealing his source to Sisko) in order to glean important information. (N.B.: I have never corroborated this, but the voice sounds very much like that of Ruskin's.)
Sam, nice avatar. I own two copies of that album. (No, not the original--but some very good copies. How I wish I owned an original!) I own around 250 Beatles LPs, and an original "Butcher" is not among them. But I do own an original Frank Ifield and the Beatles, which is a gem. ;)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I wouldn't even let her see the episode title for the next one (You Are Cordially Invited...) since I didn't want to ruin the suspense.
It's fun how into the show she has gotten. When the female Founder lead Odo astray in the early 6th season, she said to me "I hate that changeling bitch!"
Scott, I don't have a butcher cover either, despite having many vinyl Beatles LPs. Still, I find that photo iconic -- which is strange for something that was never released!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I started back after taking a big pause when the fall season started. I can't remember the title right now, but I most recently finished the episode after His Way.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I found a site with all the horrible, worse than crap-quality Quicktime trailers Paramount originally had on their Star Trek site for all the episodes. Despite how they look, seeing them again is nostalgic and I'm jumping back into this series soon.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Sam Favate:
I started back after taking a big pause when the fall season started. I can't remember the title right now, but I most recently finished the episode after His Way.
I think that that one is The Reckoning, unless I have the air date order mixed up.
Tonight, we will be watching You Are Cordially Invited.... So much for the small wedding that Capt. Sisko wanted. :laugh:
Another of my favorites from this season is Chrysalis. When I first saw this episode years ago, I had to take down in manuscript the "Do-Re-Mi Do-Re-Mi" polyphony that is heard in the episode. It's quite an imaginative little ditty, and it works very nicely.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
In my "DS9 movie trilogy" fantasy, a small part involved the idea that things didn't work out between Julian and Ezri, and Sarina came back into his life.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Greg_S_H:
In my "DS9 movie trilogy" fantasy, a small part involved the idea that things didn't work out between Julian and Ezri, and Sarina came back into his life.
That sounds like a novel in the making. :)
When I saw Chrysalis recently, I couldn't help but think of Lal's 'demise' in The Offspring. There were some elements to Serena's silence that reminded me of Lal. I thought it was interesting too when Serena became silent (after things seemed to be going so well), and Jack took one look at her and told Julian that 'she's fine.' It turns out that Jack wasn't lying, as she was just acting that way because the other three (Jack, Lauren, and Patrick) were used to her behaving that way.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Just an update: My wife absolutely loved "You Are Cordially Invited..." - its now one of her favorites in the series.

I always thought it was clever how the writers resolved the Odo-Kira conflict offscreen, even if it was kind of a cheat. The way it was done, the viewer is free to make their own interpretation of how things went, if they care to.

Great moments in Star Trek history: Dax's bachelorette party, with Nog's dancing. Also loved O'Brien and Bashir almost breaking their fast.

An absolute winner of an episode from the pen of Ron Moore.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
There were so many characters in the later seasons, I think Dax just kind of got lost in the shuffle.

I agree the Dax of the later seasons was a lighter personality than in the earlier seasons.

Ezri was just too "convenient" - IMHO they shouldnt have brought another Dax onto the station.

Glad you guys are still watching and enjoying.

About a earlier discussion. My TV is a 4:3 CRT Sony that goes into 16x9 mode for that material and these discs looks fantastic on it.

Anyoen watching these on a plasma? If so , how do they look?

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
JonZ said:
Anyoen watching these on a plasma? If so , how do they look?
I'm going to find out soon enough.
Based on watching other non-anamorphic TV DVDs, I'm guessing the show will look better on my Plasma than my smaller LCD, but still not as good as on a CRT.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Saw "The Magnificent Ferengi" last night. What a fun episode! The nicest surprise of the series was the ability (usually of Ira Behr and Robert Wolfe or Hans Beimler) to craft entertaining Ferengi installments that fit within the broader story arc of the show.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Sam Favate said:
Saw "The Magnificent Ferengi" last night. What a fun episode! The nicest surprise of the series was the ability (usually of Ira Behr and Robert Wolfe or Hans Beimler) to craft entertaining Ferengi installments that fit within the broader story arc of the show.
I loved that one too. It's among my favorite Ferengi episodes, right up there with Little Green Men.
I just completed the special features to Season Seven last night. These were very interesting. The final episode, the cast wrap-up, learning more about Brunt and Weyoun (and esp. Jeffrey Combs) was a real treat, as was finally hearing Morn (or rather, Mark Allen Shepherd) speak. The interviews with Ron Moore and Ira Behr were excellent. I think I'd really like to sit down and talk with Ron Moore sometime. Besides his vast knowledge of all things Trek, he (like myself) has a special love for TOS, which would be worth discussing for hours.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Ockeghem said:
, which would be worth discussing for hours.
Moore's a great writer and an interesting guy. He really deserves all the success he is having with Battlestar. About 12-13 years ago, he regularly answered viewers' questions in an "Ask Ron Moore" forum on AOL. Long since gone, the forum provided a great one-on-one and gave a lot of insight behind the scenes of DS9 (which was the show he was working on at the time). I really respect that he's never lost sense of being a TOS fan. When DS9 ended, I was advocating that he and Leonard Nimoy team up to take the reigns of the Trek franchise away from Berman and Braga. What Nimoy and Moore could have done with a concept like Enterprise. Sigh.
He also recently started a blog, which you can read at Ronald D. Moore

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm into season 7. I didn't remember much about Ezri, but I expected to not like her. I like her alright. Still, I'm not looking forward to my next episode--Prodigal Daughter.
Doesn't a large segment of the fanbase not like Vic? I always did and still do.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
Not having a computer or any internet exposure at all when the show was on, I never would have known about other's reactions to a character like Vic Fontaine. Like you, I've always liked him and appreciated him on the show.
When "ANGEL" brought on a similar character, I thought it was a great way to continue that idea.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Sam Favate:

I'm into season 7. I didn't remember much about Ezri, but I expected to not like her. I like her alright. Still, I'm not looking forward to my next episode--Prodigal Daughter.

Could be. I think he was a great addition to the series. I love his voice, and the tunes he sang. I thought that his 'enhanced' programming was also a nice (and needed, it turns out) touch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks