1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Deep Space Nine: For the Fans

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Chris, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    ^^^

Wow, that is a good deal! I don't want to mention how much I spent on that particular series. Let's just say that my sets came from England, France, and Germany (seriously).

2. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    DS9 is the best of the franchise IMO. The writing was consistently excellent and the serialized nature of the show and it's later seasons built upon what came before in TOS and TNG to great effect. After a year and a half since the success of JJ Abrams' movie, why is there no talk of reunion films for DS9 or TNG? Both of them deserve a proper ending. (DS9's left one important thing unresolved, and TNG needs a better conclusion that Nemesis.)

benbess likes this.
  3. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

DS9 spoiled all other versions of ST for me. After watching a version of ST that didn't wrap up in the last 5 minutes of episode I just couldn't go back. DS9 is head and shoulders above the rest, IMO. The last three seasons were amazing.

4. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I'd hold up seasons 4 and 5 as the best in the franchise, along with TNG season 3 and TOS season 1.

5. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I love Season 7. This is one of the few series that really had a hell of a run in it's final season. Just watched "Under the Paper Moon" this morning, it's amazing how many actors could anchor this series, it's one of the first treks were you could have an episode minus the entire bridge crew for the most part, and you cared a lot about all the characters involved, because you had come to know them over the series. That's great writing.

6. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    The resurgence of the drive for DS9 blurays in the other forum made me think of this. I watched "The Ship" this morning (Season 5, Episode 2). It's amazing how DS9 managed to turn age old Star Trek tropes and completely toss them on their ear. In other Treks, "redshirts" would die and people would move on in fairly quick order. TNG dealt with this once; but here, you have an episode where both sides of the battle lose people; and there is palpable remorse - and because the death is somewhat protracted, there is a huge debate about how just the end of life decisions are when no medical care is right around the corner.

It's the kind of episode that DS9 did so well.. "I stare at the same five casualties over and over" There is an open debate over what you'd be willing to give your life for; whether or not a life lost in a good cause is still just.

DS9 had more consistency then any trek series I can think of; but the real unique value of it is that watching it again, it really holds up.

7. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    DS9 is like a summer ritual I suppose. Back in Season 2 at the moment.. I found myself watching "House of Quark" tonight. Such great stuff, the "A" plot about Quark trying to trump up his exploits in a bar brawl and getting mixed up in a Klingon marriage, and a "B" storyline of Keiko O'Brien finding that her school would close because there weren't children on the station any longer .. and Miles trying to find a way to make her happy.

It's a great episode, lots of fun.. and then you realize that the crew you think of as the "A" cast (Sisko, Odo, Kira, Jadzia, even O'Brien Julian etc.) are only tangentially involved, and the story gives a real look into the life of others on the station - it gives Quark more to his backstory and it fleshes out Keiko's side of a marriage of movement in Star Fleet.

The recent thread about how bad Voyager sucks made me mention that I thought the "B" characters on DS9 had a stronger storyline than any "A" character on Voyager.. and it's these kind of episodes that really prove that.

8. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
  9. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
  10. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    It’ll be interesting to see if a DS9 anything is even possible after “Picard” airs - there’s the potential for that series to update the status quo in a way that makes a return to DS9 as it used to be impossible. It seems like Starfleet is worse for the wear in the time that’s passed.

11. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    If Picard is successful (and all signs are that it will be), I think we will see more series popping up with familiar faces, including some from Deep Space Nine, which just had a successful documentary this year that created a lot of buzz.

joshEH and Josh Steinberg like this.
  12. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Absolutely. I didn’t mean that it was unlikely that we could revisit some of those characters. What I’m thinking is more likely though is that Starfleet has changed and DS9 isn’t the same place it once was, so that you couldn’t simply do a DS9 Season 8 in this new context, just as Picard is not TNG Season 8.

13. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
  14. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Jesus, Auberjonois and Fontana this past week, and I just find out today that Aron Eisenberg passed away back in September too. It really does come in threes.

Star Trek Online is going to be really hard the next time I revisit it. DS9 was by far my favorite iteration of Trek on TV, and Auberjonois and Eisenberg both came back to reprise their characters in voice-acted parts for the game in recent years. If you play as a Jem'Hadar character, it's Auberjonois, in character, who congratulates you every time you level up.