1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Deep Space Nine: For the Fans

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Chris, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Sadly, I finished the series last night. Still the best Trek ending episode we'll probably ever get. This may make some of you mad, but the first half felt like a really good Star Wars movie, with the awesome space battle and the skillful cutting to Bajor and the other stories cooking back home. Maybe I was influenced by Kira in the Breen suit, though. [​IMG]
    This episode confirmed one thing: the female shapeshifter *was* stuck in her current shape by the disease.
    Forgot to mention this from the previous episode, but Jeffrey Combs is great. Ususally, even under heavy makeup, these guys are easy to recognize. I knew immediately that Laas was Martok, even without paying attention to the credits. Combs is different. His Weyoun and Brunt look and sound nothing alike. That was great.

2. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Not to mention his Shran. He (Combs) is one of my favorite Trek actors, for sure.

3. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    We finished the seventh season last night with "What You Leave Behind." A great ending to a great, great show. When I first saw the finale back in '99, I thought it was disappointing that the Pah Wraiths storyline was not tied to the Dominion War arc. But now I appreciate the way it was done. The finale had to serve several purposes: it had to end the Dominion War, it had to resolve many of the characters' storylines and it had to tie into the story that began in the pilot episode, and it accomplished all of those. Funny how so many of the characters became prominent members of their respective societies - or even saviors of their people.

Odo, once shunned from the Founders, saved them from extinction. Worf, also shunned from his people, restored honor to the Klingons by killing their corrupt leader and placing Martok in his place. Damar, once a renegade on Dukat's ship, lead his people to overthrow their oppressors, while Garak, once an exile of Cardassia, is left as an instrumental player in its reconstruction. Kira, once an underground freedom fighter, helped her worst enemies achieve the same freedom she sought for her own people. And Sisko saved not only Bajor, but maybe the whole galaxy. It's as if the time spent on or in connection to this place, this gateway to the celestial temple, changed everyone's lives and brought salvation to so many parts of civilization. Coincidence? Religious significance? Or just the intervention of benevolent wormhole aliens?

I was writing a review the other day for season 3 of Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica (see link below) and I mentioned Moore's work on DS9. It occured to me that DS9 is the greatest realization of Gene Roddenberry's universe and showed the potential of his vision. On no other Trek show did so many elements of the Trek universe come together and paint such a broad canvas. Some folks think Roddenberry wouldn't have liked DS9, with its darker tone and depiction of war. I disagree. The humans in DS9 are still Roddenberry's ideal. The show is about what happens when those people and the benevolent society they have built are challenged from without and within.

So... What are our chances to see a DS9 TV movie or miniseries? Does anyone think that if JJ Abrams revitalizes Trek next year we could see a resurgance of interest? Or will Paramount not want to revisit DS9 (and have to pay Rick Berman royalties for his co-creation)?

4. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    TOS and TNG both will get their days instead of DS9, VOY, ENT =P. i wish i hadn't watched the series finale What u leave behind 2 parter before i watched any of the seasons2through7 =P.
    during the 1st 3 seasons, i occasionally caught it and it was kind of run of the mill. so i thought that was how it was going to be until the very end and caught the series finale just because. i did the same with VOY, but i was right about VOY but totally wrong with DS9! =*(. now i kinda' have to work backwards.

5. Greg_S_H

Greg
    I don't think we'll see a continuation of DS9. It seems like it's the least known, least popular Trek with the general public. I've never met anyone who knew anything about it. My friend's wife watches Voyager any time it's on, but I don't know that she's ever seen DS9.

6. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

Kevin Hewell

7. Nick Martin

Nick Martin Cinematographer

I recall the writers often felt that no one ever cared, so that's why they got away with telling the stories they did. Less scrutiny from Paramount/Berman, and no network like UPN to monitor every decision made.
    It worked out in their favor obviously, but it's sad that it's probably still true: No one really cares.

8. Greg_S_H

Greg
    It's hard to watch any other Trek after DS9.
    I've made peace with no followup as long as they don't ignore it. You know, come out with a new show that pretends the Dominion War never happened or something. It's hard to gauge that since the concurrent series was in another quadrant for the most part, and the following series was a prequel. I don't remember how much the Voyager crew knew about what was going on, because I didn't know what was going on at the time I was watching Voyager.

9. Nick Martin

Nick Martin Cinematographer

Whenever there was an episode that featured Voyager contacting earth, and eventually a semi-regular communication was established by TNG character Barclay, Voyager learned the basics, such as Cardassia joining a 'Gamma Quadrant enemy' (or something to that effect) and obliterating all of the Maquis, but there wasn't active talk about the war or the aftermath aside from a line or two about lives lost.

10. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    well, c'mon TOS is still pretty good writing =D.

11. Greg_S_H

Greg
    I was asleep in front of the TV and I woke up to Back to School. I was amazed by how beautiful the girl on the screen was, and she sort of seemed familar. I finally woke up enough to realize it was Terry Farrell. I didn't even know she was acting back then.

12. chemist

chemist Auditioning

Brian
    Count me as a brand new DS9 fan!
    [​IMG]
    I'm a big fan of TOS and TNG, watched a few early season episodes of VOY, and the first season of ENT, but I've never watched DS9. It came on TV originally when I was transitioning from high school to college and watching a regular show was too difficult. I never watched the reruns because I felt the continuing story arcs wouldn't work well watching random episodes out of order. But I've always read about the high praise of DS9 from fans on the internet and have always meant to get around to watching it properly. My wife and I finished watching TNG on DVD in order in it's entirety and enjoyed it immensely. So we decided to do the same with DS9. We're only 5 episodes into the first season and I feel that already the show is firing on all cylinders! It's funny, I love TNG but felt that it took the show 2 full seasons to really find its pace and hit its stride. With DS9 it took about 2 episodes! [​IMG]
    This show is going to be a joy to watch. I wish I had done this sooner. The only downside is knowing that VOY and ENT will never be able to match it!

13. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Nor TNG or TOS. [​IMG]
    You're in for an amazing experience. It only gets better from there.

14. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

Kevin Hewell

15. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Chemist,
    That's great that you've discovered DS9. It's a wonderful series, with excellent writing. In my opinion, it's second only to TOS as far as writing is concerned. Enjoy! [​IMG]

16. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Welcome to the club! Personally I thought the first two seasons of DS9 were also patchy, like TNG, and it wasn't till S3 that it really 'hit its stride'. If you think S1 is already really good, then you are in for a real treat when you do reach the later seasons!

17. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    i can't wait til i get to enjoy it. preferably with wife-in-hand, erm... u know what i mean. [​IMG]

18. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I just picked back up and have been watching through DS9, some of the early seasons have some great, fun moments.. and solid stories - the most political and really on point of any Star Trek. "Paradise" and "Homefront" are absolute masterworks for any Star Trek series. They deserve as much credit as I can give them.
    But Season 5-7, and really launching in Season 6, this show hits one of the most incredible runs of any series. It is completey re-watchable and absolutely epic. This is the one Star Trek series that I think for the last 48 episodes is so "ON" that it just stands out in my memory. While I can go back and watch a single TNG episode, DS9 is like comfort food, you start, and then find yourself in the middle of a marathon.

And Quark/Odo... some of the networks first real "frenemies" ?

19. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Matt,

I'm with you with what you wrote regarding DS9. I will contribute more as time allows, and I look forward to your thoughts on this excellent series.

20. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I picked up all seven seasons yesterday on Craigslist for $70. Best deal I think I've made in a while. I'm enjoying the hell out of it