What's new

Deep Space Nine announcement & Box Art from StarTrek.com! (1 Viewer)

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Also looks like they will take up less space on the shelf. I'll take the ugly packaging as a trade off.

I bought TNG and I'll buy DS9. I know I can watch TNG on TNN, but I refuse to watch anything with that miserable bar on the bottom.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Ric, I already have materials for DS9. I just need a decent logo shot

Warning to all, I don't do noggin covers. There will be no noggins on the front because it's ugly. Paramount had the right idea, just a color blind artist.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,

I had done some very preliminary work on another continuing spine shot, but nothing else. I was trying to include the wormhole DS9 and the Defiant.

If I was to do this, I probably wouldn't use single noggins anyway, since DS9 has more than 7 main characters. I had been thinking of going back to group shots like what I did for TOS. Or maybe just nice shots of the Station and the Defiant.

I would be interested to see what you come up with though. I'm glad the first season will take up 6 discs since those spines are the same size as the 7's If you want I can probably get a hold of a decent DS9 logo for you. I think I scanned one off of one of my paperbacks.

BTW... Thanks for the kind words, Dave! Pretty cool to see a thread with my name on it! Even though an Admin put the kabosh on it!

Anyways... It's sure a good time to be a Star Trek fan!

Ric

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
BTW--has anyone heard of any plans to release the entire Next Gen. series in one money-saving mega-set?
Anything is possible but I seriously doubt it would be anytime soon.

Even if they did repackaged it into one mega set it would probably but over $500 dollars. At that price point I doubt many people would run at and buy it.

In its’ current form people can buy one season at a time and even though they are spending more it's easier mentally because it's spread out over time.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I have that shot already David. It's too small. I need a MINIMUM of 720x480, preferably as high as possible

GaryEA

Second Unit
If they changed the "DS9" and the number on the spine to a font used on the LCARS screens, it would be a home run, packaging-wise.
Then again, I never liked the TNG art. They used a different font there as well.
As long as the discs are top-notch, all of this is fixable. ;)
-g

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
As much as I love The Next Generation, I haven't bought any of the DVD sets because I can still turn on TNN almost any night of the week and see two or four episodes.
You mean you don't mind all the commercials and the fact that they squeeze the picture to show distracting and useless marketing crap on the bottom of the screen? The DVD's are totally free of all such garbage.
As for that box art, it doesn't even remotely resemble anything I'd associate with Deep Space Nine. That butt-ugly packaging makes it look like some crap sci-fi show from the 70's. DO OVER!

Bill_Moore

Grip
Can't wait to start picking these up again. Haven't watched much DS9 from my videotapes in forever, so it will be great to revisit the series again.

The art? UGGGGLY! Yuk. Still, I'm not buying the sets because the box art looks nice. What counts is what's inside. If somebody ends up posting some good box art redesigns on the net, I'll probably go with those instead. Is dvdcoverart.com coming back any time soon?

Rick_E

Agent
They'd better not unless they're also refunding the difference to those who bought them individually, as they were released. Lots of angry fans otherwise.
"They'd better not?"

And these hordes of angry fans will do....what? I don't think Paramount will lose sleep over this.

The reality is, most of the people who wanted the TNG set bought it already. Especially in the case of something like Trek, die hard fans just can't wait to get their hands on it. Consequently, they sell very well initially, then taper off. Paramount will have to do something like putting it all in a big box (maybe with new packaging and a substantially discounted price) in order to keep sales numbers up on these. Especially with DS9, then Voyager coming out. In fact, I'd count on it. I'd eventually expect the same for TOS.

It's not personal, just marketing.

Spero D

Second Unit
I remember Martin Blythe from Paramount saying that when the TNG sets came out if there was enough demand he would make available the R2 cases on the www.startrek.com site for sale from memory. I guess there was never enough demand to justify it but I wonder if the offer stands for the DS9 R2 packaging (if it is better) to be available to purchase seperatly if there is enough demand? Judging from this thread I guess there might just be unless they redesign the artwork before release :)
Spero D.

Blu

Screenwriter
Ok maybe I'm in the minority here but I like the look of the cases. I think it shows the technical feel of DS9, the TNG cases were more "homey".
I really enjoy DS9 and think the design will grow on people and will have a different look to them once they are in your hands:D

Brenton

Screenwriter
When I saw the cover on the Digital Bits my first reaction was laughter, then "What the heck is that?"

If they even consider using that for their final design, they ought to be forced to stand in snow wearing only their underwear.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
A good start! But it looks a tad busy, with the station layered over the wormhole layered over the Bajoran emblem.

Suggest you perhaps reduce the emblem to a size that can go in a corner, and balance it with a Starfleet emblem that can go in the opposing corner?...

If so, be sure to use the correct combadge/emblem for DS9 S1!!! :wink:

By-the-way, I know where I can grab some great group shots of the characters from the various seasons, if you're interested.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Well, DS9 is about Bajor, Starfleet is there as administrative only
hmm, let me mull it over a bit
And group shots fall under noggins :)
If you want an idea of my preferred Aesthetic, my current favorites
FOTR:EE
Robocop: Criterion
Armageddon: Criterion

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks