What's new

deep space 9 question ? (1 Viewer)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i just watched waltz.

i think it is my favorite episode, so far.

dukat was stellar. and sisko did a good job supporting him.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i just watched the episode about kira's mom.

no wonder dukat has some sort of liking for kira !!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
just watched inquisition

good show about secret organizations, like the cia.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
in the pale moonlight - another very good episode.

i dont need them to necessarily be part of the storyline, but i generally prefer them to be of a serious nature.

the ferengi shows, for example, are somewhat mindless. and i can get that from a multitude of shows.

i expect a star trek show to have meaning - something that leaves me in contemplation about our journey of humanity.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
his way

pretty clever way of getting kira and odo together

james darren was looking pretty good (i think he was about 62 at that time)

probably does not have many bad hollywood habits !!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
valiant

i have enjoyed almost all the episodes except the ferengi, which i am gonna have to plod thru in this next one.

this episode brought out a very common mistake that people use in their everyday logic.

and that is that the captain was depicted as a bad captain at the end of the show, because he failed, and the crew died.

the mistake is that the correctness of our decision can not be measured by the outcome of an individual scenario.

and just because we won does not mean that we made the correct decision. nor does losing indicate that we made the incorrect decision.

the idea of any decision is to maximize the probability of success.

that being said, one thing about the episode that is not clear to me, or maybe i just missed it.

the main job of the valiant was to gather info about the enemy ship, and pass it back to the federation.

they had successfully scanned the ship with lots of important info.

now if the captain decided to go after the enemy without sending the info off (which is what i think happened ?), then it was a ridiculously stupid decision.

getting one ship, no matter how powerful, is nowhere near as important as receiving important info about the ship itself.

if we assume that the info was sent to star fleet in some way, then the decision to go after the battle cruiser was more in the gray area.

their scan revealed a big flaw in the cruiser that they thought they could exploit it.

so now the decision needs to way the risk of being the little guy with the probability that they could deliver the blow ?

the captain was definitely depicted as the guy who wanted to be the hero. and most of the time that leads a person to leap without looking as closely as he should have.

episode provided good thinking.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
time's orphan

i enjoyed it, but i dont buy it

parents would never have sent their daugter back to a deserted planet to live her life out like an animal

the daughter could have adjusted over time. she had already made lots of inroads

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
finished season 6

very surprised that they killed jadzia

was there some sort of dispute between farrell and the producers ?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
jimmyjet said:
finished season 6

very surprised that they killed jadzia

was there some sort of dispute between farrell and the producers ?
IIRC, She knew S7 would be the end, and had the opportunity to do Becker.

Plus, it made for one hell of a season ender.

Next season, you get to meet the cute little.... ah, but those would be spoilers.

I'm surprised you didn't mention what was probably one of the best episodes of the series, In The Pale Moonlight.

But... I can live with it.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
that was a good story - sorta tells us that in war we sometimes need to make compromises.

and also how we dont like to admit to things - in this case, sisko pretending not to know what garak would do, even though down deep he knew exactly what garak would do !!

like the other treks, most of the episodes require us to think about the human equation.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
just finished the first episode

LOL - yea, the new dax has a very cutesy look to her.

i think if i were designing the romances around the characters as the characters have been developed, i would

1) i thought garak and dukat's daughter would have been very interesting. i wish they would not have killed her off.

2) dax and julian have similar types of dispositions. and she has seven lifetimes of wisdom, while he has genetically enhanced intellect. i think they match up well.

3) kira is the one that should go with worf. they both have deep religious beliefs, and are both fighters.

4) i think leeta and rom are well suited for one another.

i dont know how they are gonna develop this new dax character. but julian has an innocence about him that i think would go well with the new dax - it would be easy to develop a cutesy look and an innocence - they typically are thought to go together, to some extent !!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
she has an adorable cuteness to her !! tinkertrill - that is a good name - i assume you just made it up, as a likeness to tinkerbell !!

and she is a pretty good actress - at least with this role.

i liked jadzia, but i think her acting skills were fairly limited.

i just watched shadows and symbols - i would have to say that this was the most exciting episode of the series, so far.

what wonderful writing - they combined 3 plots together, any one of which could have been a complete plot, by itself.

they were moving back and forth so quickly, that i was on the edge of my seat waiting !!

i especially liked the confrontation between kira, the romulan, and the admiral. that plot reminded me of the cuban missile crisis.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The Obsolete Man said:
Plus, it made for one hell of a season ender.
I rarely find occasion to fault DS9, but they did drop the ball when the wrote Jadzia out of the show. Her departure is pointless, and doesn't serve the great character they developed over six years. That said, the show recovered quickly, and the introduction of Ezri made the show strong again. But no show is flawless, and the death of Jadzia is one the weakest points in the show's 7 years.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi sam,

now that i understand the situation, i understand why the producers did what they did.

she is not that good of an actress, but she was given a huge name role because of ds9.

to not finish the show was a pretty big snub to the producers.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
the next 2 shows were mainly "fluff".

one amusing anecdote about the baseball game (either i read it somewhere or it was on one of the special effects) - in real life, rom was a semi-pro or some highly skilled baseball player. and the only way they could make him look inept was for him to use his off hand !!

the way rom walks makes it hard to imagine that he is athletic !!

another tidbit that i caught onto not that long ago - weyoun and brunt are the same person. and i did not catch it by the characters. but it finally dawned on me during the intros. that is pretty good acting. those 2 characters are very different, and speak differently. at least i never caught on while watching them.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Weyoun and Brunt (and Shran from ENT) are played by Jeffrey Combs. He plays both Weyoun and Brunt in the DS9 episode Dogs Of War, and has played several other characters in Trek which include roles from many other species.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i have wondered why they never put any effort into finding someone for julian.

he would be someone that i think a lot of girls would like.

jadzia would have been a perfect match, but that didnt happen.

they flirted around with the idea of ezri. and now this genetically enhanced girl.

but so far, both seem to have drifted in and then drifted out.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
jimmyjet said:
i have wondered why they never put any effort into finding someone for julian.

he would be someone that i think a lot of girls would like.

jadzia would have been a perfect match, but that didnt happen.

they flirted around with the idea of ezri. and now this genetically enhanced girl.

but so far, both seem to have drifted in and then drifted out.
Maybe because he ended up marrying Nana Visitor (Major Kira) in real life during the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks