What's new

deep space 9 question ? (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
IMO, DS9 is better than TNG. And I thought Terry Farrell was terrific on the show, as good as any of the other supporting characters. She has plenty of skill and was a great character. To each his own I guess...Can't wait for them to start releasing this on blu as I can't watch them on DVD now that we see how great the blu's can look.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i just finished watching Rules of Engagement from season 4.

an excellent show.

in it, sisko tells worf that they can never fire on a ship, until it is identified - no matter what the situation. even if it costs them their lives.

like most star trek episodes, it deals with real issues.

this one would have been about both our military and police and the rules that they must follow when out in the field.

i dont think we can expect our military or our police to hesitate until absolutely sure of everything.

if we did that, we would have no military or police at all.

but in looking at this episode, i think worf was totally correct, and star fleet totally wrong.

let's examine the facts. in the battle zone, a ship uncloaks - using a tactic that the klingons have already used in this battle.

it turns out to be a klingon freightor.

one might ask why it was cloaked in the first place ? a reasonable answer could be that it cloaked itself for its own safety.

okay, i can buy that.

but then there is absolutely no reason why it would uncloak, except for mechanical failure.

a cloaked ship can still see what is going on. not only did this ship decide to travel right thru the lines of battle, but it then uncloaked.

about the only justification (a 1 in a gazillion gazillion chance) is that the ship lost both its navigational control and then its cloaking 100 meters away from the defiant.

if worf had waited, he could have lost his own ship.

sisko goes on to tell worf he was lucky, because there were really no passengers killed in the incident.

but worf wasnt lucky at all. that ship was not a freightor, in the true sense of the word. it was deliberately placed there by the klingons as part of their battle plan. so in fact, it was a battle ship (as the overwhelming odds that worf faced, had predicted).

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Jimmy,A fabulous episode in my opinion. I loved Ron Canada in that one. We also get to see a Starfleet Flag Officer in Rules Of Engagement. I remember seeing those eight pips, and wondered if it was because Vulcans live longer or because she was just a very high-ranking officer and that her age had nothing to do with it. I believe that she was the highest-ranked Starfleet officer ever seen in any iteration of Trek.

"On the same transport ship. Under the same captain and crew. And then that ship is destroyed too. This is a very unlucky group of people, wouldn't you say?"

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i think the most important aspect of any tv show for me is the lesson that is being taught in the story.

this episode may be my favorite so far, and it is mostly people in a courtroom.

definitely my favorite tng episode takes place in a courtroom (when data was on trial to see if he was a sentient being).

one of my favorite combat episodes was when the lieutenant was stuck in the pill box with one german.

i dont need a lot of action.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Jimmy,

That would be The Measure Of a Man, which in my opinion is another wonderful episode. In fact, that remains one of my most favorite from the second season of TNG (along with Unnatural Selection).

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
brent spiner, in one of the special features, was asked about that episode.

he said something to the following - there is not much an actor can do with poor writing.

but an actor can really soar with a good written script.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tino said:
IMO, DS9 is better than TNG. And I thought Terry Farrell was terrific on the show, as good as any of the other supporting characters. She has plenty of skill and was a great character. To each his own I guess...Can't wait for them to start releasing this on blu as I can't watch them on DVD now that we see how great the blu's can look.
DS9 was almost unwatchable on DVD anyway.

Don't get me wrng, the show is great, the best of the Treks, but the DVDs were horribly authored or something, because the show was blurry and there were artifacts all over the place.

DS9 needs the Blu upgrade even more than TNG did.

Of course, they're probably going to have to redo the last few seasons worth of effects, since those were almost all CG and I'm betting those effects weren't done in HD, so there's no way those old shots would look decent in on blu.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i cant believe how tall jake has gotten.

it seemed like in just a couple of episodes, he went from being several inches shorter than his dad, to several inches taller.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I hope I am wrong in my belief that the market simply isn't there to support DS9 Blu-Rays. I was wrong in thinking CBS would never go to all the trouble to rebuild TNG from the ground up for HD, so my track record would indicate that DS9 will be coming to HD. I hope so. The reason I don't believe it will is because all Trek fans, pretty much, loved TNG. But DS9 was hit or miss--you either thought it was the best Trek ever made (and in its totality it is) or you watched a few episodes and didn't really care passionately about it. I'm wondering if a solid enough fan base is there to support it on HD, particularly with the cost of redoing some of those later seasons in terms of effects. We'll find out soon enough, as TNG in HD is winding down faster than expected.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It is widely rumored (and believed) that DS9 will come to blu-ray some time next year. Keep fingers crossed.

There's already a thread on this: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/315988-star-trek-ds9-on-the-radar-for-blu-ray/

Also, from the Digital Bits 10/2/2012:
In other news today, we highly recommend that you Trekkers check out this radio story from KPCC's Off Rampprogram - it's a feature on CBS' Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray remastering effort. And you'll definitely want to stick with it right to the end, because for the first time in public (to our knowledge) there's the suggestion made that - provided demand is there and the TNG Blu-rays all sell well - CBS may continue their BD remastering/upgrade effort on to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine! Cool news indeed. This jives with what we've been hearing from our own industry sources. Keep your fingers crossed.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/100212_0100

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I hope VOYAGER does make it for the fans who loved it, but I'm not in for that one. Or for ENTERPRISE. They're just fine for me on DVD.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The Obsolete Man said:
But we all still have serious doubts Voyager will ever make it to Blu, right?
I don't, honestly. I really believe CBS would be incredibly short sighted not to do all the shows right now, while the team is in place and the process is down to a sceience. If they wait for 2020 or some other time, it won't happen.

This is as much about selling these shows yet again right now as it is about "future proofing" them for syndication, discs and streaming down the road.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
sisko has pretty bad luck with women.

how many men have their wife killed twice ???

i was sorta hoping that they would bring her back into the show.

coming from the alternate universe would have been a very creative way of doing so.

i liked her, and thought she would make a nice addition.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
When this entire series is out on BD, I will take a week or two and do nothing but watch the entire series. It really is that good when you watch it as a whole. It really is the best Star Trek ever done (though TOS will always be my favorite for sentimental reasons).

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i only watch complete series on dvd, now. by far, the only way to go.

you get a lot more out of the show.

i havent seen enterprise yet, although i did see some of the original airings.

comparing the shows is so subjective. i dont know if there are more exacting criteria that we could use, in terms of comparison.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
LOL - when i said dvd, i was using the term to mean disc.

i do have some blu-rays.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i dont see the personality of jadzia having love feelings for worf.

while worf is not as single-minded as the typical klingon, i dont think he would be of interest to her.

i guess with someone with that pretty of a face, they had to find someone to have a romance with her.

if i had to pick someone for her, i think i would choose garak.

those 2 have a lot of depth to themselves, such that i think they might evolve to be truly interested in one another.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks