What's new

"Deep Red" (Anchor Bay) won't play. Anyone have similar problems? (1 Viewer)

Mikko Rasinkangas

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony DVP S-715 DVD player and when trying to play Anchor Bay's "Deep Red" dvd the player just clicks a few times and a text reading "This disc cannot be played" appears on the screen. You can't even get to the menus or press the stop button. The disc simply won't load... Need info if this is a compatability problem before I can send it back. At the moment I cannot test this on other players.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I played a rental copy on my much older Sony DVP-S3000 with no problems. Sony DVD players are famously reliable. It is probably the disc.

Tom B. Stones

Stunt Coordinator
When I first got this splendid DVD, I had a Wharfedale DVD-750. The disc posed no problems to the player.

However, I have since also got a Marantz DV3100, and it definitely chokes on the disc to some extent. While the main feature tends to play without a hitch, he authoring house's promo piece which "opens" the disc breaks up badly. The film's two trailers also stutter and shudder along - to the point of being unwatchable. (This is a great shame, as the Italian trailer is something of a super-creepy masterwork worth the price of the disc on its own. Thankfully, I did not get rid of the Wharfedale!)

This is the first I have heard of anyone else encountering difficulties with this disc, and am intrigued...

James D

Second Unit
Count me in as having a problem with this disc. I have a Panasonic RV30 and a Sony 7700 and the problem occurs on both machines. When I first load the disc, both players sound like they are about to explode! The terrible noise lasts throughout the menu screens, however when the actual feature starts, the clunky sounds go away. I am currently awaiting a replacement copy and will report my findings as to this problem with the new disc.

Bryan_ZZ

Stunt Coordinator
Do you have the single disc version of Deep Red, or is it one of the Argento Collection double features?

Bryan

James D

Second Unit
It was the single disc version. I love Anchor Bay for releasing cult titles and obscure titles. However, they seem to have quite a big quality control problem with their DVD authoring. Most recently, they had to recall Opera and they also have come out with a corrected version of Heathers .

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Deep Red...not a problem....THOUGH our Opera Disc won't play anymore....are they still sending out the replacements on those?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Exactly the same problem; Crest National used the same defective lacquer on the Heathers discs as they did on Opera. I exchanged mine with AB no problem.

Mikko Rasinkangas

Stunt Coordinator
I tried my "Deep Red" dvd with a dvd-rom at school. I opened Windows Explorer and after some whirring (not good sounds) from the drive a text reading "DEEP RED" appeared on one of the drives. I click it. New window opens and tries to show contents of the dvd-rom. Nothing happens and the Windows Explorer jams. Can I assume that the disc is defective?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks