What's new

International Deep Red (4K Remaster) Arrow Video. (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My point is that I don't think he's getting respectful responses. You've made statements that could be taken as attacks on his purchasing choices, his viewing equipment and method of setting up that equipment, accused people who didn't buy this release as having "sour grapes", etc. You earlier stated that people who are happy with the old release shouldn't even post in this thread, which strikes me as being contrary to the spirit of discussion at HTF. You also stated earlier that posts where people are happy with an older version "piss you off". There comes a point where sometimes the best thing that can be done is to agree to disagree instead of taking offense. That's my opinion at least.

I know that sometimes writing instead of communicating face to face can lead to misreading tone and I want to give the benefit of the doubt that no one has bad intentions or the desire to belittle someone else's choices. I've offered my two cents and don't have anything further to add so perhaps it would be best for me to simply bow out of this thread.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Josh I never mentioned his viewing equipment, but did mention the calibration only after that was brought into the conversation.

The sour grapes quote I felt was justified as the difference is quite massive even though it was repeatedly put forward as incremental and in my opinion an attempt to belittle this release and again invite debate.

Finally, my meaning as to those who are happy with pervious releases posting was just that, if you are happy and do not want to enter into conversation regarding this release why post, no malice intended.

I will stick to conversation only on this release from now on so as not to cause offence.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Barry, for what it's worth, I don't think Bigshot or anyone else is attempting to belittle this release. I haven't seen anything written by anyone in this thread that I'd read as disparaging towards this release.

I think there's a honest difference of opinion between you two as to what constitutes a "massive" difference, and I think it's okay not to see eye to eye on that. I don't think there's anything that can be said to make either of you change your mind. With that being the case, I just don't think it's worth the effort to try to.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Maybe it's just us Brits who like a good debate without malice, maybe that does not come over very well on an internet forum. I will try to be more understanding. :)

Apologies guys looking back at my posts they could be taken the wrong way.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
tele1962 said:
I really can't see where this elitism quote comes from. No one is saying anything about watching your set up the way you like it however inaccurate that might be, but I did say how would he know, much the same as your self. You say you can see differences between releases...........how do you know which is correct and which one is wrong????

In which way might the screen grabs be inaccurate?

Anyway you guys stick with your releases I will go with the best one available at this point in time and for the foreseable future.

For me there is no "correct" and "wrong". As I will watch both versions on the same setup anything not quite "correct" because of my setup will be similarly displayed from the other disc.

If I like the look of the picture that's all I need to know. If I like it and some unqualified armchair expert doesn't why should I care?

Screengrabs might be accurate as they are STILLS. Movies MOVE.

As I said , I have the new Deep Red coming from Amazon - I was just commenting to support Bigshot's reasoning. And he's right that there are far too many movies to buy without buying multiple versions of the same film so when we actually do buy another version it will always be down to how important that film is to the person or just how bad the original was.

Rebuying Spartacus for example was a no brainer as the original was so bad.

Rebuying Journey to the Centre of the Earth from Twilight Time would be very much a judgement call on how much you like the film and whether the first release was bad enough to spoil your enjoyment.

Back to Argento- I'm followed him ever since 1982 when I first saw Suspiria on VHS and while Deep Red is not my favourite Argento movie I like it enough to go for the new package from Arrow which was purchased based on more than just having a new 4k transfer.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Josh Steinberg said:
With respect, I would actually feel hesitant to mention I wasn't upgrading something in a thread like this. Bigshot has stated in a calm and respectful manner why he's chosen not to rebuy this title (while at the same time being respectful to those who are upgrading) and from where I'm sitting and reading, it doesn't seem like his decision is being respected.

It's OK. My feelings aren't hurt or anything. I find this thread amusing actually!

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
tele1962 said:
Josh I never mentioned his viewing equipment, but did mention the calibration only after that was brought into the conversation.

I think I have a theater gallery on HTF if you are interested. I used spears and munsil to set my color and black levels, but not all disks work that way. Some are too dark and desaturated! (joke)

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Josh Steinberg said:
Barry, for what it's worth, I don't think Bigshot or anyone else is attempting to belittle this release. I haven't seen anything written by anyone in this thread that I'd read as disparaging towards this release.

I think there's a honest difference of opinion between you two as to what constitutes a "massive" difference, and I think it's okay not to see eye to eye on that. I don't think there's anything that can be said to make either of you change your mind. With that being the case, I just don't think it's worth the effort to try to.
I hate when people review a release when they have yet to even see it. Screenshots don't count,as films always look different in motion.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I've only watched the Blue Underground version of this. It looked very good in motion.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
What makes you think Beaver is the be all and end all? I can point to cases when Beaver was just plain wrong. I think Gary Tooze just reviews too fast. He's making blog posts, not actually watching films.

Edit: Do you think that shot I posted is supposed to be desaturated and too dark to read?

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
bigshot said:
What makes you think Beaver is the be all and end all? I can point to cases when Beaver was just plain wrong. I think Gary Tooze just reviews too fast. He's making blog posts, not actually watching films.

Edit: Do you think that shot I posted is supposed to be desaturated and too dark to read?

Just for a little balance:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Deep-Red-Blu-ray/135768/#Review

http://10kbullets.com/reviews/d/deep-red-limited-edition-box-set-arrow-video-bluray/

That shot looks perfectly fine to me on my calibrated (Eye One Display pro, Chromapure Software, AVSHD test patterns) system, and what makes you think the experts at Arrow got it wrong in your opinion.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The caps from 10K bullets don't look like the contrast is as blown out as the blu-ray.com ones. The ones at Beaver look half/half.

The reason I think that particular shot looks desaturated is because one of the trademark techniques of giallo is that primary color lighting style.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
tele1962 said:
Just for a little balance:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Deep-Red-Blu-ray/135768/#Review

http://10kbullets.com/reviews/d/deep-red-limited-edition-box-set-arrow-video-bluray/

That shot looks perfectly fine to me on my calibrated (Eye One Display pro, Chromapure Software, AVSHD test patterns) system, and what makes you think the experts at Arrow got it wrong in your opinion.

I prefer my own eyes and my own opinion to someone elses software and test patterns.

After all this talk of calibration , quite some time ago I got the Disney wow disc which confirmed my eyesight was as good as any test pattern.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
turtledove said:
I prefer my own eyes and my own opinion to someone elses software and test patterns.

After all this talk of calibration , quite some time ago I got the Disney wow disc which confirmed my eyesight was as good as any test pattern.

Of course you do, but your eyes alone will I promise be very far from accurate. There is loads of great information on this online.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
turtledove said:
As far as I am aware, Beaver reviewed the actual disc - not just stills.

And I've been looking at Beaver off and on for many years to know his opinion counts for zilch

Yeah well how about the others and if you could tell me how the stills would be different from the film I would be grateful?

Excellent screen grabs on Whimsey.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
tele1962 said:

The fact my calibration disc shows my personal setup was perfect shows your view is void.

Clearly some people don't need to pay someone else to tell them what they should be looking at.

I bought a calibration disc which told me I needed no adjustment - what more could I do?

My 50+ years of viewing and 30+ years of installs must have helped
tele1962 said:
Yeah well how about the others? Excellent screen grabs on Whimsey.

As I and others have said - screengrabs are ok as a guide. Anyone who bases their view of a disc purely on screengrabs is rather foolhardy.

My views of Beaver are based on some of the twaddle he writes along with his techno babble that wouldn't be out of place in Star Trek. Screengrabs are as equally worthless from any source - but I am looking on a laptop. I guess they are a bit more worthwhile if your monitor is much larger

Are you on some kind of commission? I see you're waging a similar war for this title on Bluray.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks