1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

International Deep Red (4K Remaster) Arrow Video.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Sgt Pepper, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Supporting Actor

Barry
  2. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Although the release date has not yet arrived (January 25) this is already unavailable to order and out of print...seems odd. Nothing about it being a "limited edition" run so I wonder why it is no longer available when it has yet to be released.

3. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member

Charles Smith
    Definitely a limited edition.

tele1962 likes this.
  4. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    This Region B only?

5. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Does not say anything about being limited on the amazon page.

6. EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin Supporting Actor

Nick
    It specifically states that the second Blu-ray featuring the shorter cut, and the soundtrack CD, are Limited Edition exclusives. A 1 disc version is forthcoming.

7. turtledove

turtledove Second Unit

gerry
    The 5.1 English audio from earlier releases is not included according to Beaver even though Italian 5.1 is. That's disappointing.

Sounds like a great package though.

I ordered mine from Arrow originally last May and as usual they take funds immediately.

When they announced in October it was delayed again I got a refund. I can't be paying for things upfront that I won't have for 7 or 8 months. I preordered from Amazon and ended up getting it cheaper than Arrow.

Would be nice for Arrow to get their payment options changed so that pre-orders were not paid for in advance.

8. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    I'm fine with the first release on this one.

9. Sgt Pepper

Barry
    Is it me or something, I just don't get this statement? :wacko:

10. turtledove

turtledove Second Unit

gerry
    For some people the first Bluray is good enough. For them the film is not important enough to buy again regardless of any upgrade a 4k scan will offer. They probably think "we're already watching a 2k scan in 1080 -will we benefit from 4k still in 1080?"

The Beaver is hardly a reliable enough source these days. I'm surprised Arrow feel it worthwhile sending review copies to that site.

Randy Korstick likes this.
  11. Sgt Pepper

Barry
    Erm! not important enough????? You only have to look at those grabs and the people involved in the transfer to see this is gonna be 100% better. I think your confusing a 4K scan with a new scan done properly. look at the grabs man. :eek:

Sorry for this but these posts really piss me off.

12. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    I have the first blu-ray of Deep Red. I watched it. It looked very good. If the first release was totally botched... say a DVD upscale or grossly messed up contrast levels... I might double dip. But I am perfectly happy with my German release of The Innocents, and the first blu-ray releases of Casablanca, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Time Bandits and The Wizard of Oz. Life is too short, money is too precious and there are too many good movies to collect to waste my time with incremental improvements over transfers that are perfectly good, just not perfectly perfect.

At this point, the only things I can think of that I have bought twice is The Story of Ricky Oh because the first blu-ray was a DVD upscale, Kino's Nosferatu because it's missing massive numbers of frames, and the Chaplin Mutuals because Flicker Alley screwed up the sync between the music and picture on several shorts. I would probably rebuy Laurel & Hardy's Babes in Toyland and Keaton's Steamboat Bill Jr if they were re-released not looking so washed out. But that is about it.

Most of the time, the inconsequential differences I see between grabs at Beaver isn't enough to convince me. I would much rather use that money to get a movie that I don't have in my collection yet. I'm a fan of movies, not pixel resolutions.

ScottDombrowski likes this.
  13. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    Beaver reviews by bitrate, and Arrow is known to max out the bitrate on BR-50 disks with their releases. Even if it doesn't look any different than the same film on BR-25 disks, they are guaranteed that Beaver will say it does. The same goes for audio. I just read Beaver for an overview of films I haven't seen yet (especially foreign films), the listing of the supplements and a general idea of what the image looks like from the screen grabs. I don't consider it any particular kind of authority or anything. In fact, I think the reviews of image and sound quality are often pretty meaningless, filled with audiophool vagaries and judgement by bitrate.

14. Sgt Pepper

Barry
    I have the first release and it is very far from perfectly good...................

No one is on about pixel resolutions (or pixel peeping as some call it), but a genuine and massive improvement over the other releases. If you do not see that and you are happy with a sub par release so be it but I will never understand that train of thought when the evidence is clear for everyone to see.

But hey ho, I suppose there will always be those who will never appreciate a good film transfer and I wonder why these people never just stayed with DVD?

15. Sgt Pepper

Barry
    Did you even look at the grabs, yes beaver is not perfect but bloody hell man your talking nonsense.

16. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    Yes, I looked at the screen grabs. The new release appears to have better skin tones (and you will kill again), but the contrast looks goosed a bit too much on some shots (the one with the knitting needle). Some shots look better in the old one, some in the new. Perhaps it's a wash. But who knows... there aren't that many direct comparisons. Like I say, I watched the old blu-ray and it looked very good on my calibrated projection system. Even if this new one is a little better, that's no reason to fork out money all over again.

17. Sgt Pepper

Barry
    Not sure if your the UK, but if you are have you heard of Spec Savers. "Contrast goosed, some shots look better on the old one, a little better". Not sure who done your calibration and if that is the problem here I would want my money back. :cool:

18. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    Spears and Munsil

You are a very eccentric person.

19. Sgt Pepper

Barry
  20. turtledove

turtledove Second Unit

gerry
    I find screengrabs to be of limited use so I don't pay any attention to them.

Watching the disc in motion is when I decide what it's like.

But once again , no matter how good the new Bluray is perhaps the film is not important enough for people to buy it again on the same format.

I have a long list of movies on Bluray for which nothing would make me buy them again- although Deep Red isn't one of them.

Still wish the BU surround mix was included