What's new

Deep Impact Special Collector's Edition (1 Viewer)

Chris_Marin

Stunt Coordinator
Paramount have sent us full details of their October 5th release of Deep Impact Special Collector's Edition:

Full article here

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Hard decision since I own the original but I think I'll pass. If it had dts it'd be a no-brainer.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
One of my favorite movies. I'll get the updated version with the new transfer.

Though I do agree that DTS would have been nice...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've been waiting for an upgraded version before purchasing this. Disappointed in lack of DTS, though. :frowning:

CraigL

Screenwriter
Theatrical.

Guess it's time to get rid of that anamorphic R4 version.
Anyone want it? Real cheap. :)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Very cool. I don't own the current release so this is a must buy.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

One has little to do with the other.

Back in the day, when Laserdiscs were still around, Titanic was the subject of an unprecedented move with regard to DTS.

At the time, Paramount (the film's domestic distributor) had an exclusive deal with Pioneer to release their films. DTS, on the other hand, had an exclusive deal with the other major Laserdisc producer, Image. Clearly, a DTS version of the movie was not going to happen.

However, at James Cameron's insistence, a special deal was brokered and Image and Pioneer joined together to release a DTS version.

So, if Cameron says DTS, there could be DTS on Titanic

In Deep Impact's case, I used to have the old DVD and the Dolby Digital was no slouch. DTS might be better, but I think we'll all be satisfied with what we get.

StevenFC

Second Unit
Good news, Chris. Especially since I finally have 16x9 tv. I can't believe that this is still an issue. How hard can it be to enhance DVDs for 16x9 displays?

Anyway, we could use more sci-fi disaster flicks like Deep Impact. Still silly, buy with replay value because of the acting and the well written sub-plot.

TomWoodward

Second Unit
Not at the moment I'm afraid Neil, I'll see if I can track one down over the next couple of days though.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
If you want a DTS track, just play the DD track and turn up the volume about 10dB - voila... ;)

After one too many blind testing of DTS vs DD, I for one am glad studios are at least dropping extra audio tracks in favor of having more recordable room on the DVDs. The virtues of DTS over DD have long been over exaggerated and the fact that DTS even boosts their dB levels is clear they themselves know this and are using the old "louder is better" technique to try and fool listeners.

If they only offer DTS that's fine by me, but having both is in my opinion a waste of disc space, and as such I applaud Paramount and the other studios for finally ignoring all the hype over DTS.

While not a favorite film of mine, this new release certainly appears to be a significant improvement over the non anamorphic version.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Hooray, one more title that has been on my list of non-anamorphic disks to wait for until they release it anamorphic!

Allan^L

Stunt Coordinator

To me, the SE looks identical to the original version other than the vertical banner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks