What's new

Deep Discount Spring 2009 Sale? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
these should work. I doubt anyone has tried them all yet though.

HOTSTUFF
DVDTALK
USATODAY
NYTIMES
SUPERSALE
PRICESEARCH
YAHOO
ESPN
XM
JIM
DEALNEWS
LATIMES
WGN
WLS
PRICEGRABBER

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Paul, thanks for the list. I remember some of those from the last sale. Someone here will probably verify several of them before me since I usually place my DD sale order on the Thursday or Friday of the last weekend of the sale.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I ordered so far

Mr Belvedere season 1 and 2 for $20.69
Hawaii Five-O season 6 for $21.67
Rockford Files season 6 for $23.69
adn finally Burn Notice season 2 for $20.92. I may get some more in a few days.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Just ordered:

Season 6 of Mission Impossible

Season 8 of Bewitched

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly

I ordered so far

Mr Belvedere season 1 and 2 for $20.69
Hawaii Five-O season 6 for $21.67
Rockford Files season 6 for $23.69
adn finally Burn Notice season 2 for $20.92. I may get some more in a few days.
Plus I just added Bewitched season 8 as well.

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator
I got:

Blu-Ray:

The Seventh Seal
Samurai 7

DVD:

Revolution Revisited
Jane And The Dragon 1
Jane And The Dragon 2
Once A Thief "Brother Against Brother"
Once A Thief "Family Business"
Chuck Norris Triple Feature: Hellbound/Hitman/Forced Vengeance

Savings of: $32.53

I'd like to do one more order but am not sure I can. The complete G.I. Joe series just shipped and in another week my pre-orders for Torchwood and Doctor WHO will ship. The sale runs untill August 2 so maybe.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Here is my 1rst order:

1 COL028046 DVD : SHIELD-7TH SEASON $ 23.92 In-stock
1 FXD058933 DVD : BURN NOTICE-2ND SEASON $ 20.92 In-stock
1 LGE025361 DVD : WEEDS-4TH SEASON $ 13.04 In-stock
1 MDY061015 DVD : TALES OF WELLS FARGO $ 35.70 In-stock
1 PRD089400 DVD : PERRY MASON-4TH SEASON V.01 $ 25.42 In-stock
1 PRD089402 DVD : PETTICOAT JUNCTION-2ND SEAS $ 20.55 Backorder
1 SHF011266 DVD : FATHER KNOWS BEST-3RD SEASO $ 19.07 In-stock
1 SHF011364 DVD : PEYTON PLACE-2ND PART $ 20.92 In-stock

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
you're welcome.

got off another order on Friday-

order #3 (USATODAY)

Quantity Item # Description Price Status
-------- ------------ ----------------------------------- ---------- ---------
1 BVD033345 DVD : REVENGE OF THE MUSKETEERS $ 7.13 In-stock
1 LGE025435 DVD : SECRET DIARY OF A CALL GIRL $ 14.92 In-stock
1 MCA020514 DVD : SWASHBUCKLER $ 7.42 In-stock
1 MCA021223 DVD : INTO THE NIGHT $ 7.41 In-stock
1 WBD026387 BLR : THE DARK KNIGHT $ 20.15 In-stock
1 WBD099810 DVD : PEANUTS-1960'S COLLECTION $ 17.15 Backorder

Merchandise Total: $ 74.18
Tax: $ .00
Shipping & Processing: $ .00

Total for this Order: $ 74.18

also got the notice today that all, save for the Peanuts, have shipped.

Looking forward to tomorrow so I can order Midnight Express and Charlie's Angels S4.

I'm also feeling a bit tempted by the Abbott and Costello set, and one other that I've passed on the last couple sales but think I may go for this time- The Preston Sturges collection.

So far though I'm happy to be keeping my spending down. I have some stuff up for sale on ebay now, so I may expand my budget a bit when those sell, but I won't be dropping anywhere close to what I spent last summer on all the sales. Not even a 1/4 of that (I went nuts last year).

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Did anyone else notice that they raised the price of Mad Men: Season 2 the night before the sale started? They had it listed for $26.99 up until Thursday, but the price jumped to over $38.00 on Friday.

I had orinally planned on getting it from Amazon for $24.49, but thought I'd wait and save a few bucks by getting it during DD's sale. Did anyone else notice any other prices being raised just before the sale?

Very annoying...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Robert Floto

Did anyone else notice that they raised the price of Mad Men: Season 2 the night before the sale started? They had it listed for $26.99 up until Thursday, but the price jumped to over $38.00 on Friday.

I had orinally planned on getting it from Amazon for $24.49, but thought I'd wait and save a few bucks by getting it during DD's sale. Did anyone else notice any other prices being raised just before the sale?

Very annoying...
Haven't checked since last Thursday when I placed my first order, but I received the same price that Paul_Scott did for Mad Men S2, ie. 25% off of their ~$30 price at the time for ~$23 net cost.

Their typical price hikes at the start of these sales are what led me to jump on my first order asap. Near as I can tell, there's often a small window of opp for getting the better pre-sale pricing -- it usually happens before the coupon codes are widely announced.

BTW, my thanks to Paul_Scott also for posting the various codes, especially the DVDPlanet one. Still haven't placed my order w/ them just yet though.

_Man_

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Robert Floto

Very annoying...
This issue comes up every time DDD holds their semi-annual sale. I haven't noticed any price increases in the titles I had planned to order, but the reality is that all retailers change prices from time to time, and sale prices don't last forever. So I don't know if the price jimp on Mad Men Season 2 necessarily had anything to do with the 25% off sale. The odd part is that the price of the DVD set is now $39.99, but the Blu-ray set of Season 2 is $30.89! So you can order the BD set for less than 50% of the MSRP for the standard DVD set. If DDD had a policy of increasing prices in anticipation of the sale, you would expect the BD price to go up as well, but it hasn't. I also noticed that 24 Season 7 has an MSRP of $49.95 but DDD still has it priced at $26.89, which is the same as the pre-sale price they had for Mad Men Season 2. Go figure.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
It's looking like the 25OFFSALE coupon for Planet is a one time only code, just like last November.

If people need to place a second order with them, you might try SAVE (I haven't, some others have said it worked though).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Richard Gallagher

This issue comes up every time DDD holds their semi-annual sale. I haven't noticed any price increases in the titles I had planned to order, but the reality is that all retailers change prices from time to time, and sale prices don't last forever. So I don't know if the price jimp on Mad Men Season 2 necessarily had anything to do with the 25% off sale. The odd part is that the price of the DVD set is now $39.99, but the Blu-ray set of Season 2 is $30.89! So you can order the BD set for less than 50% of the MSRP for the standard DVD set. If DDD had a policy of increasing prices in anticipation of the sale, you would expect the BD price to go up as well, but it hasn't. I also noticed that 24 Season 7 has an MSRP of $49.95 but DDD still has it priced at $26.89, which is the same as the pre-sale price they had for Mad Men Season 2. Go figure.
Hmmm... For some reason, I had assumed Robert was talking about the BD set, not the DVD set.

It's looking like the 25OFFSALE coupon for Planet is a one time only code, just like last November.

If people need to place a second order with them, you might try SAVE (I haven't, some others have said it worked though).
Thanks for that tip. Maybe I should try the SAVE coupon code first. I was just thinking about placing an order tonight (ahead of Tuesday release day when DVD Planet might hike prices on some new releases, which is what I noticed last time).

_Man_

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Chris, good choice! Angel-A is a nice film.

I ordered Pushing Daisies Season 2 (Blu) last night.

Almost got Watchmen, but I think I have some BestBuy gift cards I could use on that one, so I'll be heading out today to pick it up manually. EDIT: I couldn't bring myself to spend $25 for Watchman at Best Buy, especially when they have the nerve to call that inflated price a "sale price".

Edited by Will_B - 7/22/2009 at 01:00 am GMT

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Got my first two orders in today. Did a shake test and didn't hear anything amiss- but I've been unpleasantly surprised before so I won't fully relax until I crack all these open sometime in the next few days.

Got off another order Tuesday morning-

Quantity Item # Description Price Status -------- ------------ ----------------------------------- ---------- --------- 1 COL022948 BLR : MIDNIGHT EXPRESS (W/BOOKLET $ 17.15 In-stock 1 COL030693 DVD : CHARLIE'S ANGELS-4TH SEASON $ 18.95 In-stock 1 HVD002127 DVD : MADE IN USA (CRITERION) $ 16.21 In-stock 1 LGE023614 BLR : THE BANK JOB $ 13.39 In-stock 1 MCA031126 DVD : PRESTON STURGES-FILMMAKER C $ 25.04 In-stock 1 VCI008274 DVD : CITY OF THE DEAD (SE), THE $ 4.49 In-stock Merchandise Total: $ 95.23 Tax: $ .00 Shipping & Processing: $ .00 Total for this Order: $ 95.23

Made In U.S.A. was a spur of the moment impulse addition, and I regretted it almost as soon as I hit the submit button. The more I read up about it, the less interest I have in seeing it so that's a certain return at this point. I usually think the better of at least 10% of what I order in these sales, and always send some stuff back for a refund. So far though I think that's the only thing I made a mistake in ordering.
This is just about it for me for this sale. I was planning on ordering Green Lantern next week, but the more I see of it, the less it's lighting my fire. I think I'll just give New Frontier another spin instead.
Gotta say I'm generally very satisfied with this sale so far. I definitely appreciated having it bumped to July- just in time for some pricey stuff I was chomping at the bit to snag, but was dreading paying the regular prices for.
Even with dropping a few bucks at Big Lots, I've still managed to stay within my budget.
And my ebay sales closed today which should just about pay for that last order in full.

I'm a happy camper right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks