What's new

Deep Discount DVD ... my vendor of choice (1 Viewer)

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
EDIT: Please see below for an update on my relationship with DDD.
The nice folks at Deep Discount just cut me some slack by extending their price-matching offer to an order I had already placed (albiet, just earlier the same day), even though it is obviously intended for use when placing the order.
That's great customer service in my book, and assures them of my continued, frequent, and long-lasting patronage. Thanks a heap to the folks at Deep Discount DVD for working with me on my little boo-boo.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Deep Discount DVD recently earned my buying dollar with their cheap prices and FREE SHIPPING!!! Best way to build patience I say.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
One thing I'll say for DeepDiscount: They routinely have some of the best prices around on Anchor Bay special editions, and they seem to get them in promptly.

M.

Chris Lock

Second Unit
I can vouch for DDD as well. They aren't always the cheapest, but their service is great. At least when I order from them I'm confident I'll get my order in a reasonable time, which I can't say about some other vendors.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
... so that was in april, but what about now ?

what's happened to this retailer ? they've really deteriated quite badly from what i've recently experienced. they don't answer my emails, they don't answer my phone calls, their web site is slow and my last order has been sitting around for days now prior to being shipped. a stark contrast to what they used to be like a few months ago.

a victim of their own success ? i.e. they can't keep up with demand. or are they going the way of express.com ? i've used them many times in the past and have always been very happy with their service, albeit their rather iffy tracking system.

anybody else having problems ?

Jeff Howard

Agent
While there seems to be a problem with their website & a slowness in email replies,i've still received my last few orders pretty much on schedule(even though their website still shows they haven't been shipped yet..lol)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Jeff above. I love DDD, although I wish they'd upgrade their software for the "Order Status" section of the site. Many times you can't get to it at all, and other times it shows incorrect information. (i.e.: All of a sudden returning ALL "Completed" orders to the "Open" section, which makes me nervous, thinking they just might treat them all as "Open" AGAIN, and send duplicates. Hasn't happened yet though.)
Overall, I really enjoy shopping @ DeepDiscountDDD!
Although, http://northamericandvd.com/ is becoming quite competitive (price-wise) of late I think. If they ever do the "FREE S&H all the time" deal, they just might get some new customers!
By the way, what happened to DDD's e-mail order confirmations? I haven't gotten one of these for many months on any of my orders. Anybody else notice this on your orders with them?
Their sister site, DeepDiscountCD.com has much more reliable software it seems (in the few times I've used them for music purchases). Very fast and accurate Order Status section as well. Wonder why the same thing isn't used next door at the DVD site? Curious.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I'm a new user of DeepDiscountDVD.com and am frankly not very impressed:

- no email confirmation of order

- no email confirmation of shipment

- incorrect order status on website

- slow website on 'everything'

- customer service does not know what is going on (on orders, status or website upgrade problems)

- emails go without response (sometimes for days sometimes not at all)

- website is among the worst in the industry (navigation, accuracy, friendliness)

I did get 1 of my orders 12 days after being placed. No way to track it nor email notification, only way to get any response is by calling (sometimes waiting for 30 minutes for someone to answer).

Quite frankly, the idea of free shipping with reasonable prices is very tempting but if I go back to the 'good old days' of DVDExpress.com and Reel.com there is no comparison with any of today's etailers. The B&M's have taken over the majority of deals and the pendulum has swung away from internet sites. This may be some of the 'dot-bust' syndrome or just the ever maturing DVD market with the volumes being picked up by the less computer-savvy J6P who frequents the B&M's much more often and can help the B&M's sustain the lower margins than in the early days when only the 'hobbyist' was interested in DVD technology.

I will split my loyalty to BB, Costco and CC as well as couple of etailers for the more 'obscure' titles for the time being.

Joel

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
An update on my relationship with DDD.

First, they proved themselves unable to deliver Swingers CE. I can cut slack on that, because maybe they didn't get their shipment or for some other reason it was out of their power to control.

But now, they've sent me the Full Screen version of Grease when I ordered the Widescreen edition. Words cannot expressed how p!ssed off I am about this. It's not like you even need to be able to read to fulfill the order corectly. Blue = Full, Red = Wide.

The customer service drone I spoke to today said they would send my replacement out via priority mail. If I don't have the right disk in my hands by this time next week, DDD will have seen the last of my money they ever will.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
I am deeply concerned about this (once great) site...and if their offspring Deep Discount CD is giving us any future indication of their service, I will be DONE! :angry:

Doug Latham

Auditioning
I have to agree, ever since they started selling CD's there service has gone the way of the toilet. In the past month I placed 4 orders with them. First order arrived quick (3 to 4 days) 2nd order I'm yet to receive. Placed that on 9/19. I'm yet to receive that order. Since then, they said they will reship it, but to make matters worse they just charged my account twice for the same order. 3rd order, I'm yet to receive that also. I ordered 3 movies and according to there site they shipped 2. The third movie they said is a pre-order. One problem with that is it's been out for more then 3 months. 4 order I just placed, we'll see what happens with that one.

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
DDD has screwed up my last two orders. I ordered "Somewhere In Dreamland", which was defective and when I returned it, I got no confirmation of their receiving it, and after four weeks, I had not gotten a replacement copy. I called their 800 number, and after sitting on hold for nearly 20 minutes, the best they could do was to credit my card. If they ever did, I've yet to see this credit on my statement.

on 9/18/02, I ordered the Alec Guinness Collection and "The Horse's Mouth" (Criterion) and preordered "The World Of Henry Orient". They shipped the Criterion title, and backordered me on the Guinness box. Here it is, a month later, and it's still on back order.

They do NOT update their order status info on their website (right now, they show that "World Of Henry Orient" was shipped on 9/20/02, when everybody knows that it wasn't released until 10/10/02.

No, unlike Planet and Empire, these guys surely don't have a clue how to run an internet business. Similarly, their Deep Discount CD is just as bad.

Losers...in my book, despite their good prices. What, heck, what good is saving $8.00 off the Guinness box...if I never receive it????

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
The customer service drone I spoke to today said they would send my replacement out via priority mail. If I don't have the right disk in my hands by this time next week, DDD will have seen the last of my money they ever will.
Almost 2 weeks later, I have not yet received my widescreen Grease. I noticed in the "your order has shipped" e-mail I received from them that they are shipping it "5-10 day mail," so I haven't really been expecting it.

DDD, this thread serves as a lovely record of our relationship. You started out with great customer service and it was your inability to come through on the simple things that any company ought to be able to do that has cost you my business.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
You started out with great customer service and it was your inability to come through on the simple things that any company ought to be able to do that has cost you my business.
Isn't there a rule of thumb that says that it costs 10 times more to get a new customer or regain a lost customer than to do the things necessary to retain an existing customer. In other words keep them happy and on your satisfied customer list.

"Business 101"

Joel

DanaA

Screenwriter
I may be wrong here, but 5-10 days might mean 5-10 business days. I know DDDvd seems slow. I rarely get them until the 10 business days are almost up, and once I didn't even receive it till a few days afterwards. Nonetheless, I've always at least gotten what I ordered and, to me at least, that free shipping is wonderful. With Columbia last week, I received Star Trek II (which I already own), instead of A Hard Day's Night, which I actually ordered. In this instance at least, it has been a pain getting the thing straightened out. Sorry to hear all hasn't gone smoothly with your order thus far though.:b

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
My last two experiences ordering from them has left a very bad taste in my mouth!
Both orders took more than 3 weeks to arrive! The latest took exactly 23 days!
Free shipping or not, this is not acceptable. I can order from DVDPlanet.com and pay around $1.50 more after shipping, but I will receive my order in less than one week (I'm in California) and I have never had any orders with them messed up.
I don't think DeepDiscountDVD will be receiving any more of my business for a while. :thumbsdown:

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
I've settled on DDDVD as my primary DVD source. I've placed a couple dozen orders with them and haven't had any problem. Each time the order was confirmed and a notice was sent when it was shipped. No order has taken more than five days to get here and a couple in as little as three days. Most arrive in four days. Are they the cheapest on everything? Of course not, but I'd rather deal with someone I'm happy with than save a few pennies.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
... and a notice was sent when it was shipped.
That's odd. I haven't gotten ANY e-mails from DDD for months! I thought they probably had ceased the e-mail notifications (even though it says you'll "receive a confirmation e-mail within 24 hours").

Anybody else NOT getting e-mails from DDD anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks