What's new

Deep Discount.com Sale - Nov 13 - Nov 29 (40% off BD/DVD - 30% off CDs/Books) (1 Viewer)

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
Just received a postcard in the mail today.
40% off BluRays and DVDs
30% off Cds and Books.
DISCOUNTS are off MSRP :-(

Sale starts 11/13 and ends 11/29.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
this is already being discussed on the thread http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/293926/a-brief-history-of-the-deep-discount-fall-sale/30#post_3627011

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Scott Shanks

Just received a postcard in the mail today.
40% off BluRays and DVDs
30% off Cds and Books.
DISCOUNTS are off MSRP :-(

Sale starts 11/13 and ends 11/29.
Is there any promotional codes, or will the sale price be the listed price?
Thanks.

Larry Gelfand

Premium
Real Name
Larry Gelfand
The "hotstuff" code is for a free gift with order over $60. No codes are needed for the 40% off. BTW, it's live.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Well as of 2 days ago The Sopranos complete collection was $199.95 at Deepdiscount. Today with the sale the price is $225.95.
So with the 40% off MSRP the new price is $25 more.

No sale for me thanks.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
I have been participating in the DDD sale for years, and this is indeed disappointing. I just checked my ongoing wish list, and nearly every title is not worth buying, as I can get it at the same price or cheaper all year long at other merchants. Whereas it is their prerogative to have whatever kind of sale they want, I hope that the results of this sale convince them to go back to the old format.

I for one, will not be participating at all.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Wow! What an overwhelmingly underwhelming sale!! I had a hard time finding anything that had a better price than Amazon's current price...and the Criterion sale doesn't even come close to the sale curently at B&N. Looks like I'll be holding on to my cash this time around.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Dennis, Eric,

Many thanks for your recearch on pricing. I was going to look at DD this weekend and still might look around but you guys have save me, at least, valuable time in looking at this 40% MSRP sale.

I wonder why DD tried this approach this time around? Economy? I don't see them helping themselves with this kind of change from their previous sales.

I do most of my DVD sales thru Amazon anyway so this won't affect me much but "Santa" is not happy :( He's loaded up the sleigh at the Nov DD sale during the past several years.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Hold the phone...I checked several DVD's on my Xmas list and all were cheaper than Amazon's at the DD sale price. I'm mainly a Sd TV/DVD collector so the items I checked are catalog titles. But we can't buy pre-orderes at the DD sale as per the usual rules so I didn't check my pre-order prices at Amazon.

Looks like Santa will be stopping over at DD after all :)

David Mahlan

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson

I had a hard time finding anything that had a better price than Amazon's current price...and the Criterion sale doesn't even come close to the sale curently at B&N.

That's funny - I found the opposite to be true. Everything I had on my DD wishlist is less than at Amazon, and on most multi-disc sets I was interested in, the difference is in the double digits. For example: Mr Moto Collection, Vol 2: $30 at DD, $45 at Amazon; Biederbecke Tapes (BBC): $24 at DD, $36 at Amazon, etc.

I'm sure that this is strictly a function of the specific items I've got my my wishlist, but it does suggest some deals are to be had, so I wouldn't dismiss the DD sale out of hand.

David

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

I wonder why DD tried this approach this time around? Economy? I don't see them helping themselves with this kind of change from their previous sales.
I'm wondering if they are not reacting to the comments they hear each time around about jacking up their prices before the sale. By taking the discount off the MSRP, they really can't be accused of any deceitful sleight-of-hand. There are people (like some in this thread) who might not be happy with the sale prices (vs. what they think they should be) but--that's the sale. Everyone's free to spend their money wherever suits them.

Personally, most of the items in my wishlist are slightly lower than they were before the sale pricing kicked in...but nothing substantial.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Sorry if my comments were mis-leading. There are some deals to be had (mostly on larger box-sets and such). I couldn't find any single titles that I was interested that were cheaper than Amazon and the boxsets were hit or miss. I may pick up the Natalie Wood & Claudette Colbert sets since they are cheaper....but many others that I was considering are no deal at all.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

I'm wondering if they are not reacting to the comments they hear each time around about jacking up their prices before the sale. By taking the discount off the MSRP, they really can't be accused of any deceitful sleight-of-hand. There are people (like some in this thread) who might not be happy with the sale prices (vs. what they think they should be) but--that's the sale. Everyone's free to spend their money wherever suits them.

Personally, most of the items in my wishlist are slightly lower than they were before the sale pricing kicked in...but nothing substantial.
As I mentioned earlier, one of the sets I wanted was well over the price it was before the sale. And that has never happened to me with the 25% off sale.

Let's face it the 25% off sales of the past had to hurt DD. most of the prices from those sales were closer to 70% off the MSRP(I checked some old receipts). I think it was more of a word of mouth tactic to get millions of new people to start accounts with them. And it was actually quite brilliant, as I told many friends, and they told their freinds etc. I'm sure this was the case with most people.

I think the 25% off sales are a thing of the past. Welcome to the "new" Deepdiscount sale.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Bryan^H

Let's face it the 25% off sales of the past had to hurt DD. most of the prices from those sales were closer to 70% off the MSRP(I checked some old receipts). I think it was more of a word of mouth tactic to get millions of new people to start accounts with them. And it was actually quite brilliant, as I told many friends, and they told their freinds etc. I'm sure this was the case with most people.
Exactly, they're a business and they want to make money. The 25% off sales were designed to get new customers. They don't care at all about people who only shop with them two times a year. I can't count the number of "I'll pick this up during the next DDD sale" posts that I've seen so the only surprise to me is that it took them this long to pull the plug.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
For what it's worth, this sale is also happening at DVD Planet as well.

Surprisingly, I have made large orders at both, just because I was trying to get some Warner, Paramount and Fox titles that were recently reported OOP. Already two WHV titles, Val Lewton: The Man in the Shadows and A Date with Judy, are listed at DD as discontinued. Plus, I found some CD sets at DD that I've been wanting at very reasonable prices.

So from DD I ordered:
Barbarella $5.82
The Busby Berkeley Collection, Volume 2 $20.73
The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 10 $83.99
The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 11A $69.99
The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 11B $69.99
Rifftrax 10 DVD Collection $59.97

And from DVD Planet, I ordered:
The Adventures of Pete & Pete - Season Two $16.77
Alice Adams $11.97
The Best of Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In 2 $29.97
Classic Comedy Teams Collection $17.37
Doctor Who: The War Games $29.97
Doctor Who: The Black Guardian Trilogy $35.97
A Fine Madness $11.97
Ginger & Fred $11.97
Lucille Ball Film Collection $29.97
Pete Kelly's Blues $11.97
The Sarah Jane Adventures: The Complete Second Season $23.97
Stalag 17 (Special Edition) $11.97
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea - Season Two, Volume Two $17.97
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea - Season Two, Volume One $17.97

And all of these are at the cheapest price I could find on the net.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Can anyone explain how the HOTSTUFF code is supposed to work? It's supposed to entitle the customer to a free gift on orders over $60, but I don't see any information on how to get any gift into the shopping cart.

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
The free gift via HOTSTUFF will appear on your emailed receipt if you entered the code. You can confirm that the code was accepted on the Final Order Review page (just before you complete the checkout) by clicking on the ADD button next to where it says Coupon or Discount in the Order Summary section. Sadly, at no point have I seen them tell us what the free gift will be. I suspect either a t-shirt or a random DVD that they can't seem to sell.

I'm glad at least a handful of items got the old fashioned 20% off of the previous price. Getting the new Farscape boxset for $74.38 made my day yesterday (was ~$98 the day before).

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Thanks for the clarification. I'm buying season three of The Untouchables (both volumes) and Vol. 2 of season three of Route 66. I saved $8 off of Amazon's price for The Untouchables (that's $8 total for both volumes) and $7 on Route 66.

I'll let you know what the free gift turns out to be!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks