Deep Discount CD - OK place to buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin C Brown, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

They have the Stones remasters for $12. Go through www.mysimon.com to get the 10% discount.
    I've never ordered there before. I seem to remember a postive vibe for them?

2. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

My only complaint with them thus far is that they haven't actually carried some of the items they list at their site as available. I have only had a couple of orders turn out like this, however. Generally, after a few weeks on backorder I have had to contact them and they have responded with an apology stating they would not be able to locate the CD I had ordered. Disappointing indeed!

Other than this occasional misrepresentation of their catalog, I have been very happy with them. As with their DVD store, their prices are always among the lowest you will find.

3. George See

George See Second Unit

I've only placed one order from them, and it arrived on time I had no complaints.

4. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Same thing happened to me as did Jeff. I ordered two CDs at the same time then received an e-mail that both were out of stock a couple of days later. The e-mail stated that they'd be in at a later day so I waited. And waited and waited! Finally I e-mailed them about this wait and they said that they would have one of them in in a couple of days and the other at a later date. I was a little upset but thought I could wait a little longer. Yeah, right. One cd came in and the other did not. I e-mailed them and they told me that they would not be able to get it for a few weeks so I told them that I would take my business elsewhere and cancelled that ordered. What pissed me off about the entire thing is that they never apologized to me.
    Deep Discount CD, unlike Deep Discount DVD, will never get my business again. Never! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    So, if you do order from them, be ready for a possible wait. Their site does not list their cd's as in stock or out of stock!

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeffrey, I had a problem similar to yours in some respects in trying to get an SACD from Digital Eyes recently. I pre-ordered the SACD at an excellent price ($10.18), and after it was released, I waited, and waited, and waited for it. I never got e-mail updates about the status of my order, so I had to call, and call, and call. Each time I called, they said that their distributor couldn't get the disc. I asked them why they were settling for that answer since the disc was readily available. They finally said they would try other distributors, but I never heard from them until I called about a month later. This was six months after I placed my order and four months after the disc had been released.
    When I called Digital Eyes at the six-month mark, I was told that they had sent me an e-mail message two weeks earlier stating that they had obtained the SACD from another distributor and they were ready to ship the disc. The problem is that I never received the e-mail message. The reason they contacted me by e-mail instead of simply shipping the disc is that they tried to run the credit card that I had provided when I had placed the order months before, but the credit card was declined. This is because I had lost my credit card a couple of months after placing the order and had to replace it. Of course, I got a new credit card number. Frankly, I forgot to give Digital Eyes the new credit card number. That's my fault, but the simple truth is that with all the concerns I had about losing the credit card, Digital Eyes was not at the top of the list. In any event, I explained all of this to Digital Eyes and apologized for not providing them my new credit card number. However, I told them that I never received the e-mail message from two weeks earlier. Had I received the e-mail message, I would have called them right away. In the end, I told them I would like a copy of the SACD if they would still honor the low price from when I pre-ordered it. They told me that had sold the disc they had gotten for me to someone else and they didn't want to order another copy for me. What a bunch of crap. In short, I will never order from Digital Eyes again. In the future, I will be wary of online merchants that special-order discs through distributors. I asked Digital Eyes why they don't stock SACDs, and they didn't answer the question. They simply said they didn't want to order another copy of the SACD for me. I was all ready to give them a credit card number. Ridiculous. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I ordered one of the Stones Remasters from them a few weeks back when they had a 2 off coupon floating around for new customers which has since expired. The disc just shipped yesterday. It seems like unless you pre-order they do not actually have stock on hand but have to order many titles especially those which are not big sellers or brand new releases. I have found deepdiscountdvd works similarly when it comes to certain titles as well. The prices are decent at times but their waits make me want to look elsewhere to shop online.

J

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

OK, good feedback...

I just ordered 5 items so will be a good test for them.

8. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Kevin, thanks for the link to mysimon. I just ordered Karrin Allyson's In Blue CD with a 10% discount. She is a really great jazz vocalist.

I have had very good luck ordering from DeepDiscount. I get pretty decent delivery since they ship from a warehouse in Illinois. Of course, it means I have to pay sales tax, but with free shipping they have the best prices right now on the internet.

They have a very limited selection of SACDs, though.

9. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Sadly,

I think quite a few online merchants work like this. I ordered Wendy Carlos' Original Clockwork Orange score along with the Stones Got Live if you want it DDCD, and Live shipped only yesterday. I ordered them both three weeks ago tpgether, and the Carlos disc shipped a week after I ordered. DVD Empire also has SACD's listed but they are never in stock and listed as shipping in one to two weeks. I have been following certain discs at their site for a few weeks now, and the status on them has never changed.

Reg

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Will be interesting. Amazon.com is the big gorilla of online music (/DVD) purchasing, but they usually even have a lot of the weird stuff I buy.

(Good example: Dirt is a band from the early 90's from Atlanta. Now, I don't know if it's the *same* band, but they have a new album out. Amazon actually has it listed. DDCD didn't. But figured I'd try them out for the price savings.)

11. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Here is a store that has never failed me in nearly fifty-plus orders for music www.alldirect.com. Although their catalog may appear limited at times, if they list it as in-stock you will receive it (and quickly). Great service and their prices are also among the lowest you will find anywhere. [​IMG]

12. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Prologue:

I ordered from DDCD last Fri night. 5 items. Hadn't heard anything by yesterday. (They say they'll send a confirmation email, order number, "shortly".)

Called them up, and they couldn't find my order. They said it must have been accidentally deleted, and that I should try again.

Don't think so...