What's new

Deep Discount 20% off ACTUAL SUMMER SALE NOW ON. (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
One wonders from DDD's perspective if they can possibly make much money off a 20% sale. Throw in the fact that they've got to pay postage on most of their deliveries it cuts down on their margins even more.

Still, for them to do it a second time shows that their bean counters were happy with the results of the first one. I'm happy because even though I spent over $250 that means I saved over $50 from their normal prices not to mention a bundle off the MSRP.

:emoji_thumbsup: to DDD.

Steve

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I ended up buying the following:

Mars Attacks
The Dead Zone Season Two
The Killers
Spaced Invaders
Nick Knight
R.E.M.: In View
Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret5tar 5ystem
Dinotopia: The Series
The Simpsons Season Four

Plus, I got my dad the Cary Grant Signature Collection for his birthday.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member

It may possibly be that they need cash right now and are willing to take a short term loss, or that they must reduce inventory. Other than that, it does seem crazy.

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, Alan, I was thinking the same thing. It's the end of the quarter, and the end of the first half of the year, important milestones. If they need to show growth in sales, good movement of their inventory, etc., this sale would definitely help.

Lucky for all of us, if the sale they had last year set expectations that they felt compelled to follow up on in the first half of 2004, we might be seeing a pattern where this is a regular (I hope no less than semi-annual) event!

Looking forward to the next one,

- Bob

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Or they may have, through tracking purchasers, discovered that they actually did keep some new customers who ordered thereafter, making it a worthwhile loss leader, just like the dot.com boom analysis claimed---only in DDD's case it actually worked because they generally really do have excellent prices, excellent selection and reasonably good service.

In any event, I dropped about $450. Last year's sale they got overwhelmed and some stuff didn't ship for 3 weeks. But they may have prepared better this time around.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I'm an exploitation junkie (and not much of a TV on DVD buff), so I probably got a bit more of that stuff than others in this thread (including a few Something Weird titles), so herewith I present my somewhat sinful list:

HOT SHOTS $7.99
BOWANGA BOWANGA/WILD WOMEN OF WONGA $11.69
TOUCH OF HER FLESH/CURSE OF HER FLESH $11.69
KARATE-THE HAND OF DEATHSHIPPED $11.69
SPEED RACER-V.02 (LCE)$9.77
THE RIVER WILD (DTS)$7.48 (bought as a gift)
INTO THE NIGHT$7.48
SUTURE$10.93
SCREAM BLACULA SCREAM $7.29
THE NOTORIOUS CONCUBINES$11.70
WOMEN ON THE RUNSHIPPED$7.91 Great Corey Yuen girls 'n guns category III HK thriller
THE MYSTERY OF RAMPOSHIPPED$10.93
GINGER-SERIES (3DVDS)$23.97 Cheri Caffaro, yeah, baby!
CANDY STRIPE NURSES$7.16
SUPERFLY$10.60
EXCESSIVE FORCE$11.51
THE BRADY BUNCH MOVIES (2PK)$13.32
RUTLES: ALL YOU NEED IS CASH$10.61
THE ROOKIE$11.50
THE CRITIC-ENTIRE SERIES (3D)$29.66
IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE$10.31 (another gift)
YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES (WS)$10.84
TIME AFTER TIMESHIPPED$11.51
WATERSHIP DOWNSHIPPED1$11.51
DAME EDNA EXPERIENCE-1ST COMPLETE$20.98
MST3K-SET 2$31.89
THE FINAL FRONTIER 10 MOVIE SET $9.59 Brentwood Cheapie Pack
DRAGNET$7.48 Tom Hanks version
SHAKEDOWN$7.48
GRAND HOTEL $11.51
THE LOST SKELETON OF CADAVRA $12.71

Total was about $380 U.S. for over 30 titles. About seven years ago, I made a lengthy list of movies I intended to own on DVD. Very lengthy list, around 1000 or so titles (not including Asian cinema imports). Over the years I've gotten most of them (far too many at full price, unfortunately) and was down to my last 50-60 titles before this sale. That leaves less than 30 to go, so guess I'll add the remainder to my Deep Discount wish list and save up for Christmas (fingers crossed!)

Greg Madsen

Second Unit
DEAD ZONE-2ND COMPLETE SEASON $19.19
INGMAR BERGMAN DVD COLLECTION $61.52
SMILES OF A SUMMER NIGHT Criterion $17.24
Stepford Wives $7.48
THE LAST DON $5.46
LAST DON 2 $6.37
MASQUERADE $7.29
CYNDI LAUPER-LIVE AT TOWN HALL $7.16
THE REAGANS $7.67
LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT $5.75
SIMPSONS COMPLETE 4TH SEASON $23.91
BAD SANTA (UR) $12.91
SPARTAN $12.71

Total around $195.00

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I managed to control myself this time -- when I placed the *first* order, anyway! :) Snagged a bunch of concert discs I've had my eye on, although I had to skip the Led Zeppelin disc because they never fixed the problem with ordering it.

Order #1:

FINAL COUNTDOWN (LE) (2D), TH $ 14.38 In-stock
IKIRU (CRITERION) $ 23.00 In-stock
OPETH-LAMENTATIONS $ 8.89 In-stock
ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK (SE) $ 17.15 In-stock
IRON MAIDEN-NUMBER OF THE BEA $ 11.89 In-stock
STEVE VAI-LIVE AT THE ASTORIA $ 11.12 In-stock
TRANSATLANTIC-LIVE IN EUROPE $ 15.12 In-stock

Merchandise Total: $101.55

Order #2:

REDUCED SHAKESPEARE COMPANY, $ 12.00 In-stock
COUPLING-COMPLETE SERIES 3 $ 18.71 In-stock
KING CRIMSON-EYES WIDE OPEN $ 14.62 Backorder
PENDRAGON-LIVE AT LAST & MORE $ 10.52 Backorder
ARENA-CAUGHT IN THE ACT $ 10.52 In-stock
JOHN WETTON-AMORATA $ 10.52 In-stock
TENACIOUS D-COMPLETE MASTERWO $ 9.56 In-stock
MARX BROTHERS COLLECTION (5D) $ 34.52 Backorder

Merchandise Total: $120.97

Order #1 shipped on the 22nd; I don't think that order #2 has shipped at all yet. Usually I get DDD orders in about a week, so I'm looking forward to this week's mail. :) Knew I should've gotten that Marx Brothers set order in sooner. On the plus side, it spreads out the CC damage a bit. :)

Oh, Deep Discount DVD -- how I love thee and hate thee!!! :D

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
I really restarined myself on this one. There were a bunch of things I could have ordered, but I did not want to over indulge in a buying frenzy, just because there was a sale. (It is so easy to do this!)

I thought about what to buy all week and finally pared it down to one TV on DVD set (Dark Shadows, set 1) as an Xmas gift for my brother, and a disk called "East Side Story," that I have been unable to find for rent. The latter is a collection of Soviet block beach blanket musicals from the days of the Cold War, which sounds both amusing and interesting. I ordered on the last day of the sale. My total was $50.72. Both items are in stock , but I have not yet received an e-mail to say they have shipped. No hurry on either one, obviously.

Deborah

James_M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Here's what I got:

CHUNGKING EXPRESS $ 7.48 (Backorder)
20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA $ 11.04
VAULT DISNEY SET (4PK) $ 38.16
SIMPSONS COMPLETE 4TH SEASON $ 23.91 (Backorder)
ZATOICHI-ON THE ROAD 5TH EPIS $ 11.48
ZATOICHI-REVENGE 10TH EPISODE $ 11.48
TO LIVE $ 10.93
WARRIORS, THE $ 7.48
SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (2DISC/SE $ 16.32

Total for this Order: $ 138.28 I ended up spending more than I thought I would. And I was going nuts on what I should get. Damn that sale!!! Some of you may think I'm nuts but I passed on Indiana Jones cause of the low extras and I knew I would be getting the Star Wars Trilogy in August. So tough to restrain myself. It's such a good sale though... and I missed the first one. :frowning: ;)

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I only made one order, for 7 DVDs. I got an e-mail saying that 6 of them had been shipped. I got a box yesterday, and it took me a second to realize something was missing. There were only 5 DVDs. Okay, I figured they made a mistake. I looked at the packing list, and it says that this shipment includes 6 DVDs. However, there was a note written on the page. There was an arrow pointing at one of the titles (LITTLE RASCALS V.03) and it said something like "Out of stock. Will ship shortly or you will be notified."

I understand if a title is out of stock, but it seems very weird to me that they charged me for it, and my online order status says it was shipped at the same time as these other discs. The only thing I have to show I didn't get the DVD is a little note written with a ball point pen.

Has anybody else had an experience like this?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The one item which turned out to not be in stock after I placed my order has apparently shipped out today. This is when they predicted it would ship out when they said it would be delayed.

Neil

Christopher D

Second Unit
Gabe D: I got exactly the same thing (ball point pen and rubber stamp) today and had exactly the same reaction.

If it's not forthcoming soon I'm going to be unhappy. It's one thing if they don't charge you, quite another if they do (as here).

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member

I had one of those also. I just got my delivery today, I emailed them about it since the online system doesn't match the invoice I got. Haven't heard back yet.

MattGentry

Second Unit
Just got my first order today. Having ordered it last Tuesday, and receiving an email stating that it shipped Saturday, I'm very happy.

-Reno 911!
-Monk Season One
-Futurama Volume Two

My other three TV sets will ship out the 3rd and my 8 DVD movies will all ship out by the 6th. Happy camper indeed...

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
I received my Spiderman Cartoon box set yesterday. The invoice had a yellow Post-it attached with only the number "6" written in ball point pen..... ???

C

Christopher D

Second Unit
OK, a credit appeared on my credit card account today for the missing, ballpointed, item. No big deal, then -- it was a marginal "because it's on sale" purchase anyway.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
They replied to my email saying they created a new order for me with the one item in it. I don't have a clue when I'll get it. Very strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks