dedicated wiring for system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Beck, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Kevin Beck

Kevin Beck Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,..

Been a while,..We built a new home over the summer, and I did a very large amount of the work myself, so I have been covered up pretty good. It is time however to build the theater in the basement. I have the room all roughed out, and am in the process of running power and so on. Question is,...Is there a preferred way to run the power source feeds to the equipment? ie. Dedicated runs for amps, and receivers, to separate them from TV? At the old house I had some noise problems in my subs, due to noise in the line somewhere else in the house. I would like to avoid that this time. Any other helpful hints would be greatly appreciated as well. Like I said,...its been awhile. I have had to put my mind to other things for about the last year.

Thanks much, and glad to be back,..GRCRY,...>>>--->

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Kevin,
    It’s hard to answer this with no idea of what your system is like. If you have a simple system with perhaps only one or two outboard amps, one 15-20A circuit will suffice. If you have something like half-dozen 1000 watt amps, or one of those systems like you see in the magazines with three 6-ft. racks full of gear, then obviously your needs would be different. You mike want to take a look at this thread currently running at the Home Theater Hardware forum for some ideas.
    A few pointers, though: If you use multiple circuits, make sure are connected to the same phase (or service leg) at the breaker panel. It never hurts to use upgraded commercial or industrial outlets instead of those 39¢ residential outlets.
    Good Luck,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    In my new theater I ran two separate 20A breakers for the equipment and one 15A for the lighting!

Wes

4. Kevin Beck

Kevin Beck Stunt Coordinator

Wayne,..

Thank you very much,...very helpfull. I am on the right track,..just wanted to make sure, as well as pick up anything new that may have coma along in the last few months.

Kevin,...>>>--->