1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Dedicated power outlets in HT room

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hank, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Hank

Hank Guest

I just moved into a house and I'm ready to run dedicated outlets in my living room for my theater system. Does anyone in here use dedicated lines for their systems? I have heard from a few dealers that it is worth it in system performance.

2. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Yep, Hank, it is worth it to run dedicated circuits for your gear. One for digital, one for your amp(s), and another for later when you wished you ran a third line.

Straight "home run" lines of 12AWG (or 10AWG if you have monster amps)--- 20 Amp circuits straight to receptacle. Or, you could run 15 Amp circuits if you don't have power sucking amps. Up to you. However, an inspector will look for a 20 Amp circuit if you use 20 Amp receptacle (if you sell the house later, for instance). Best to just run 20 Amp breakers.
    And spend a few extra bucks on an industrial, or spec grade, hard/heavy-use type of receptacle.
    www.electricsurplusstore.com has the Hubbell 5362 for $7.99 ea..... or www.gesupply.com has the Pass&Seymour 5242, or 5262 receptacles for $2.50-7 bucks.
    If you want cryo receptacles then the ACME 5242 and the audioexcellenceaz Hubbell 5362BK are available, but not cheap.
    Depends how far you want to go. And, again, do not underestimate the use of a high quality, high copper content brass receptacle. The Hubbell 5362 ( a 20 AMP recepticle has about a 72-75% copper content and is called Olin 688 "blend") is about the best made non-hospital grade outlet you can find. Hospital grade finds you using far more nickel plating than need be. Nickel tends to favor the "in your face" high end. This is all IMO. YMMV.

Good Luck,
    BOK

3. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Hi Hank,

I'm using three dedicated lines myself, with better quality outlets (the ACME outlets). Despite the skepticism of the electrician, I've been pretty pleased with the results. Certainly quieter, more stable. And I don't have to worry about tripping breakers during loud passages anymore.

I consider dedicated lines one of the most dependable inexpensive tweaks around.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I like Brian's suggestions

5. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

good job on the link!!

7. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Kevin,

That is an informative link. But I must caution ALL (and YOU all know this) that unless YOU, YOURSELF, are knowledgable , and primed, with experience, and willing and ABLE, to take on the insurance agent(company) single-handedly, in case an "accident" occurs (due to fire, etc... ), due to your DIY efforts to wire your own circuit then you are "at your own risk".

DIY is fine (I make my own power cords, so I have given this much thought), but when you venture down the road of branch wiring from the mains, then you traverse at your own risk. I would NEVER dare such a thing with 3 less than 14 year old children, let alone a wife I love in my house.
    I am the ultimate tweaker, but I draw the line at the main panel. Hand it off to a licenced electrician and sleep well at night is my humble advise.
    My .02

BOK

8. Hank

Hank Guest

Thanks for the info guys. I use PS Audio's Power Port receptacles which are very good but expensive at $50 each. I will have this done but it won't be myself. [​IMG]

9. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

In my opinion, beefy dedicated circuit(s) are one of the best tweaks around. Much more performance gain than power cords, line conditioners, etc. I ran two 20A 10ga circuits straight from the 600A main breaker panel to six hospital-grade outlets right next to my equipment rack. Talk about clean, stiff power! Bass performance is audibly improved and the lights no longer dim on loud passages.

And yes, I did this myself. House wiring is not rocket science , but then again I'm an electrical engineer. Just make sure you obtain a permit and follow local codes (your inspector will help verify this).

10. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Dave, 600Amp main? Do you live in a Factory...[​IMG]

11. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

No Paul, a custom home I bought from a couple who must have had a not-too-bright architect in the 1970s. It's got lots of southwest-facing single-pane glass. His solution for the heat load was to use three 3-ton AC units. When I built the theater addition, I added a fourth. At least the precise zone temp control is nice...

12. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

I've never seen a 600 amp panel or do you have multiple 200 amp ones?

Anyway, having dedicated circuits is a good idea and even better is having them feed a balanced power box from BPT or Furman or Equitech.