Dedicated outlet for receiver

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Kevin_F, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Kevin_F

Kevin_F Stunt Coordinator

Do I need to get a dedicated 20A outlet for a receiver or can I plug it into a Monster power strip? I am just curious and if I do, would like to get it taken care of now, I am near finishing my basement and would rather install the outlet now if needed.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Actually Kevin, what you want is a dedicated circuit. This means it runs from your breaker panel to the home theater equipment. There you could put in as many outlets as you need, but the circuit services the electronics only – nothing else. That way you might not need a plug strip at all.

Also, if you intend to have a powered sub over in a corner somewhere, you could have one of the outlets installed right next to it – makes things much cleaner-looking than running power cables across the floor (may as well drop an RCA signal cable there too, while you’re at it).

No, a receiver really doesn’t really need a dedicated circuit, from a power/demand perspective, but if you’re building this room from scratch it’s easy to put one in at this point. It would always be better, if possible, to have the electronics on a separate circuit from lighting and other room outlets.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Kevin_F

Suppose I didn't have a dedicated circuit for the home theater equip only?

The reason I am asking is that the walls are already up and painted and if I don't need to have the dedicated circuit, then I won't worry about it. I am definetly getting the power strip, I want to make sure no power surges affect my equipment, so this part is not an issue.

The way the power is layed out, all the outlets are on one circuit, the lights are on a different circuit. With the exception of the theater equipment, not much else will be plugged in that will be drawing much other power.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    You’ll be fine then. However, if you only have one outlet where the gear is it wouldn’t be hard to expand that location for more outlets, if you need them.

But that’s just me, I’m not fond of plug strips, ‘cause most of them have really cheesy build quality. If you must use one, make sure it’s one with real electrical outlets built into it.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Kevin_F

Do you feel the same way about Monster power strips?

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I was mainly talking about those things that cost $5-10. Never had one of the Monsters apart, but they’re pretty pricey. You might want to check out this unit from Furman that Parts Express sells. Metal chassis, real outlets like in your house, very reasonable price. It does lack ins and outs for antenna lines, if that’s something you feel you need. Scroll down the page for a couple of other options from Furman.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=248-759

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt