What's new

Dedicated HT (1 Viewer)

Thomas_A

Second Unit
Ok...here we go.

We are adding on to the house...going up- My new HT will be on second floor...this will be a dedicated room.

What I could use are some links/posts/keywords to search on accoustical anything...ie flooring/walls...mainly the floor.

all and any help would be appreciated. I would just do some searches...but dont know names of what to search for.
thanx
Thomas.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
What are you trying to do?

There are two separate concerns, one is room-treatmend for acoustics within the space for performance.

The second is room isolation to keep the room quiet from outside noise, and also contain the sounds from being loud in the rest of the house. This second thing is much more difficult to do, requires decoupled walls, mass, etc, specialized ducting, etc. Expensive and complicated.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
Thanx for the reply...

basically what I'm trying to do is have a Dedicated HT upstairs. I'd like to be able to watch a movie without pissing off downstairs more then anything. Ive been on some HT sites and starting to get ideas.

Sound accoustics and isolation I guess. Since being built from scratch...Should be easier then a re-do! I have a good contractor but want to be better informed.

again..thanx for the reply

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
A contractor will not know how to design a proper room acoustically, nor will nearly any normal contractor really know how to isolate a room properly. I suggest you read F. Alton Everest's master handbook of acoustics, and spend a lot of time exploring acoustics and studio design forums. Otherwise, you should bring in a pro designer who knows what he's doing on both of these fronts. IT can be accomplished DIY without spending a fortune, but some expert help and general guidance is well worth the extra $$ if you aren't willing to become a quasi-professional by spending a lot of time reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks