What's new

Dedicated circuit for HT? (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Does it make sense to have a dedicated electrical circuit for my audio & video stuff? Right now, I have everything except a sub, which I'm going to get soon. I have no problems so far with tripping breakers, but I'm wondering if adding an (entry-to-mid-level) sub might change that.

The sub I'm looking at is rated at 120 watts.

Adding a dedicated outlet for my theatre would be very easy, so the work itself and the modest expense are not issues.

Does anyone have a dedicated circuit for this purpose? If so, 15 or 20 amp?

Thanks,

Jon

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I don't think it would make much of a difference unless you have a whole slew of other things loading it. Here's what I have on my HT circuit:
  • 100x5 Receiver
  • 500 Watt Subwoofer
  • DVD Player
  • T.V
  • Computer
  • Computer Speakers
  • Computer Monitor
  • Air Conditioner
  • 2 Video Game Systems
  • Printer
  • Lights
I have had all of these running at the same time, except the Video Game Systems, and I have never had a problem.
I'm not sure because I'm not an electrician (Haven't taken the correspondence course through the mail yet :)), but you might gain a little better sound quality because you wouldn't have interference from other devices.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
You probably won't have many problems tripping breakers- but there are many advantages to dedicated circuits, as was posted above.

BTW- Amps trip circuits, not Watts. The important question in deciding if your subwoofer would trip the circuit would be the amps it would pull.

-Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks