Dedicated circuit for HT?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_Are, May 10, 2002.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Does it make sense to have a dedicated electrical circuit for my audio & video stuff? Right now, I have everything except a sub, which I'm going to get soon. I have no problems so far with tripping breakers, but I'm wondering if adding an (entry-to-mid-level) sub might change that.

The sub I'm looking at is rated at 120 watts.

Adding a dedicated outlet for my theatre would be very easy, so the work itself and the modest expense are not issues.

Does anyone have a dedicated circuit for this purpose? If so, 15 or 20 amp?

Thanks,

Jon

2. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I don't think it would make much of a difference unless you have a whole slew of other things loading it. Here's what I have on my HT circuit:
    • 100x5 Receiver
    • 500 Watt Subwoofer
    • DVD Player
    • T.V
    • Computer
    • Computer Speakers
    • Computer Monitor
    • Air Conditioner
    • 2 Video Game Systems
    • Printer
    • Lights
    I have had all of these running at the same time, except the Video Game Systems, and I have never had a problem.
    I'm not sure because I'm not an electrician (Haven't taken the correspondence course through the mail yet [​IMG]), but you might gain a little better sound quality because you wouldn't have interference from other devices.

3. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

You probably won't have many problems tripping breakers- but there are many advantages to dedicated circuits, as was posted above.

BTW- Amps trip circuits, not Watts. The important question in deciding if your subwoofer would trip the circuit would be the amps it would pull.

-Vince