What's new

dedicated cd player? (1 Viewer)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i currently have a sony dvp-c660 dvd/cd player, and i guess the cd player sounds ok. my question is, how much better sound could i get if i get a cd only player? i wouldnt be opposed to sacd either, but there arent enough titles i like for me to look for a player yet. i'm partial to sony stuff, mainly because its a little easier for me to get the stuff serviced. but i'm open to other suggestions as well. the unit i was looking at is the sony cdp-xe500. thanks for any info or advice

CJ

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Christ, often times, dedicated CD players do a better job than comparably priced DVD players with CDs. The 'C660 is a decent CD player (I have the similar 'C670D), but you could do better. Of course, it depends on how much you want to spend. I'm not sure if the 'XE500 would be better than the 'C660. The 'XE500 has two things going for it over the 'C660. For one thing, the 'XE500 is a CD-only player (no DVD playback). Secondly, the 'XE500 is a single-disc player. Single-disc players are often better than comparably priced carousel changers (note that the 'XE500 was cheaper than the 'C660). All that said, the 'XE500 is budget player, so it is hard to say if it would beat the 'C660. I assume you are looking at a used 'XE500 because it is an older model. The current equivalent is the 'XE370.
In the end, you ought to give the 'XE500 a listen. However, you might find that you will have to spend more on a dedicated CD player to surpass the capabilities of the 'C660. As an example, $250-300 will get you a Denon DCM-370 carousel changer, which is a solid player for the money. The same money will get you a Cambridge Audio D300SE or NAD C 521i single-disc player. I haven't heard either model, but both are well-regarded. I believe you can get the Arcam DiVA CD62T for around the same money, which is another well-regarded single-disc player.
Since you like Sony, consider the SCD-C222ES SACD/CD carousel changer. It retails these days for $500, but discount authorized dealers sell it by mail for as low as $325. Check Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480), J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), or OneCall (1-800-340-3770). For more information on the 'C222ES, check www.crutchfield.com . Note that Crutchfield charges full retail for Sony ES products.
Best of luck in your search.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Christ, no problem. Good luck. Hope you find what you are looking for. Let us know how it turns out.

Hanwook_K

Stunt Coordinator
Can you list some of your other components as well mainly your power house (amp/receiver) and speakers?

My experience with sony is that their Redbook CD players are somewhat sterile and cold (I've had the 20ES and have the 900v). BUT please understand that is with my ears and listening with them with Sony 20ES/ATI 1502/Polk Audio LSi90 (I used the variable preouts on the CDP). I am sure there are people that hear the Sony 20ES differently with different equipment.

Marantz makes some great value players or possible even a tubed CDP like the Jolida. Other Solid State - AMC, Cambridge audio all have CDP under $500.

Bottomline, is that you can always do better for CDP play back, just depends on TWO factors:

1) What can you hear?
2) How much are you willing to spend?

Good luck ...

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
How much are you willing to spend?
and again, not much. being a poor college boy sucks when youre drooling over the equipment some of the htf members have. i have the sony str-de945 receiver. its ok for now, until i start making the big bucks (if they ever start hiring engineers around here again). maybe i will stick to my dvd/cd player, i should prob upgrade my speakers before anything. thanks for the help

CJ

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hello Christ Reynolds
I would suggest uprading your speakers to be your first step. Then you can ether upgrade your str-de945 receiver. Or upgrade to a CD only unit? You may want look at the Sony ES CD/SACD player. You may not have any SACD's but it keeps your options open to be able to play SACD's in the future. There are also many other good brands you may want to look into including Sony ES. I would suggest the following for consideration: Marantz, Sony ES, Pioneer Elite, Rotel, Denon, and Yamaha.
I will be looking to upgrade my Denon DCD-1290 to ether a Sony ES SCD-XA777ES, Sony SCD-1, Marantz SA-14 or a Marantz SA-8260. For the SCD-1 I would have to get one heck of a deal on a new one or a used one that is like new. Let us know how it goes:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks