Dedicated CD Player vs Pioneer Elite DVD/CD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Bauman, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Joe Bauman

Joe Bauman Stunt Coordinator

I'm moving from a receiver to separates and I will be puchasing a new CD player. I would however, like to buy something like the coming Pioneer Elite DV-47 since I could use the extra capabilities it has beyond playing just CDs. My concern is that I would be sacrificing musical quaility when playing regular CDs compared to using a dedicated CD player such as the Rotel 971.

Also, is a player like the Pioneer Elite really meant to be matched with receivers rather than separates?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

2. JonBouche

JonBouche Agent

Joe,

I currently have the bottom-rung Elite DVD player (DV-C36 5 disc changer) hooked up to a Elite 26TX receiver. I would say that this player is boarderline Elite material, as it doesn't seem to have quite the same build quality of others in this line. However, I have been extremely happy with it to this point for the price I paid and it's performance. Movie performance is very good, but I would say that this combo is somewhat thin for music playback.

I would not hesitate to run it (the 47) through a receiver rather than separates, but that depends on your receiver. Separates are usually in a much different price range (meaning more expensive) so I don't think it's fair to typically compare the 2 unless you are also speaking of high-end receivers (Denon 5802, etc.) The Rotel would probably sound better for CD playback than the 47, but of course doesn't offer SACD. I also understand the 47 does not have any bass management functions for SACD/DVD-A.

My local Elite dealer says this unit will be selling for about $1000. I would rather spend around $500 for a decent progressive DVD player that may offer DVD-A and spend another $5-700 for a CD/SACD player, but that is personal preference for me. The previous Elite DVD units have not really been rated at the top of the pile for DVD playback, so you are probably going to compromise somewhat on all formats (DVD,CD,SACD,etc.) Unless you just want the convenience of having everything in one box I would look at buying a DVD player with either the Sage or Silicon Image de-interlacer, which will offer you better video performance.

Good luck.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Joe, we will obviously have to wait and see how good an audio component the '47A will be. However, I would not be at all surprised if a comparably priced dedicated CD player such as the Rotel RCD-991, Rega Planet 2000, etc. were a better a CD player. Unless the '47A turns out to be a world beater, for which I am skeptical, I agree with Jon's approach. One could buy a quality progressive-scan DVD player with DVD-Audio for $500 in the Panasonic DVD-RP91 and the Sony SCD-C222ES SACD/CD changer for under $600 and have all the bases covered. The 'C222ES could very well be a better CD and SACD player than the '47A, but that is obviously just supposition on my part. The only problem is that the 'C222ES is likely not as a good as a CD player as the $1000 single-disc models out there.

4. Dzung Pham

Dzung Pham Second Unit

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dzung said:

6. Dzung Pham

Dzung Pham Second Unit

Keith that's a neat idea with the RS switchboxes but I would still prefer no switchbox to having one in the signal box. On top of that, I'm such a lazy bastard that if I can't use my remote to do the switching, it won't ever be switched! [​IMG]

7. Joe Bauman

Joe Bauman Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input guys. I think I am just going to get a higher end CD player for now and then get a DVD-A/SACD next year of so. We will see how the DVD-A/SACD war pans out.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dzung,

I understand. If you are using a digital pre-amp, you could always buy the Sony TA-P9000ES multi-channel analog pre-amp for around $450. Alternatively, you could buy the Sony STR-DB1070, 'DA3ES, 'DA5ES or Denon AVR-5800 receiver, as they have two sets of multi-channel inputs.

Joe,

Hope I helped somewhat. I understand your decision. However, depending on how much you are looking to spend, don't overlook Sony's ES SACD players, as they are good CD players at their respective price points. The Marantz SACD players are also good CD players. Good luck in your search.