Dedicated Audio room

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Holadem, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

NOT Home theater, just pure Audio. Only 2 Ch for now.
    I started giving this some serious thougth when I came home last time wanting to listen to Patricia Barber's Jazz, and couldn't do so because my girlfriend found it depressing [​IMG] (I RELAXES me...). [EDIT] I should add that this was in the living room, where the HT (which is my only system,) resides.
    Anyway, I have a spare room in my current apartment and I will make sure I have one when we move.
    More than the technical aspect, I am interesting in how it fits in your day/routine.
    When do you go to that room?
    How long does each session last?
    What kind of music do you play?
    What is in there? (I intend to go for 2 monitors on stands, a SACD player, an integrated amp AND a single recliner (NO GUESTS, ITS MY ROOM!!!))
    Does that room affect your relationship in anyway (perhaps your SO doesn't like it, think you spend too much time there, perceives it as you running away from her, is jealous of that room...)
    Now, I won't be able to do this until well into next year. I am just scouting the terrain. I appreciate your input.
    --
    Holadem

2. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

When do you go to that room? - when I get done opening mail @ 5:40

How long does each session last? - Till CD is done/ I fall asleep

What kind of music do you play? -This mortal Coil, Sting,Sara Mclaughlin,Jewel, relaxing depressing stuff, I need more Gershwin,mozart,bach
    What is in there? its my living room so my whole HT setup
    I pass out on the couch

Does that room affect your relationship in anyway ? - im single - as long as its not loud enough to affect relationship with neighbors

3. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

Great post, I am hoping for the same when I graduate.

2 monitors, amp, pre, sacd, recliner
    I would also add that you will need a bolt lock on the door, and a small liquor bar in the back.

My girlfriend will hate it!

-rob

4. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

To me, the technical approach is more important than why.

First I would take measurements and use "theory" and calculations on paper to decide where acoustic treatments and speakers would go.

Second, I would make DIY acoustic panels at some reflection points, and combine them with some DIY diffusor panels. This combination of deflect/absorb would allow me to move the panels around to tune the room.

Then I would put two 16" diameter by 3 foot long bass traps/HH resonators in each of the 4 corners of the room and tune those accordingly.

After the "theory" has been created in reality, I would take measurements and make any final adjustments/tweaks. To me, this acoustic room is no different than the bathroom. People spend a lot of time in both of those rooms, and they both serve our needs.

5. Pete H

Pete H Stunt Coordinator

When do you go to that room?

Every chance I get. A dedicated room is both curse and blessing. I have to balance my time between family and music. The family always comes first. A dedicated room is creates greater temptation. I spend most of my time in my room after everybody goes to bed.

How long does each session last?

Totally dependent on how the week has gone. Definitely longer on Friday and Saturday night. Unless my wife and I have a date night.

What kind of music do you play?

I always tell people I like all three kinds - jazz, classical and Faith Hill.

What is in there?

A two channel room that accommodates a front projection video system and surround sound. (It was designed for two channel.) I go into it for music and the family (once a week on average) uses it for movies.

Does that room affect your relationship in anyway (perhaps your SO doesn't like it, think you spend too much time there, perceives it as you running away from her, is jealous of that room...)

No my SO thinks I deserve it. (What a great woman.) I just make sure I don't cut my self off from the family.