1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Decorp Flatwire

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarkWC, Feb 3, 2003.

1. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

This company produces the flatest speaker wire available. I have decided to run it under some new carpet for my rear surrounds. It comes in 14 or 18 gauge. The 14 is twice is as expensive and it is already expensive to begin with.

Can I get away with the 18 gauge for the rears?

Thanks

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

probably yes so long as the distances aren't excessive. the amount of info back there compared to the front is not as much and you're going to calibrate anyways so it's not a big thing. that decorp stuff certainly is thin and i wish it were priced better. consider searching a week or so back in the tweaks area where flat wire from other sources was discussed.
    depending on how flat you want or need it, you might also find that a decently equipped car audio installation place might have something that's flat. it'd be similar to something like this:
    http://www.sounddomain.com/shoplist~...~Speaker+Wires
    comes in colors too!

3. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

The distance would be as follows:

receiver to floor 4'
    wall to wall 20'
    floor to speaker 7'

So it will be in excess of 30'. As you stated, it is expensive at $100 for 18AWG and $200 for 14AWG for a 100ft roll.

Since I have stone walls, therefore no channeling, I need the flattest possible wire which I can paint and try to blend into the wall though they are still different textures.

Do you thing the 18 gauge will be okay for a run of over 30'?