Decoding improvements - 1998 Receiver vs 2004 DVD Player

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chris T. Kennedy, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Chris T. Kennedy

Chris T. Kennedy Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone.

I just recently upgraded my television and plan on upgrading my DVD player because of that. (My current DVD player lacks progessive scan)

My question now is - Is it possible that a DVD player of today (Of the ~$300 range) which has audio decoding built in will do a better job than a Receiver (Pioneer VSX-D608) from years ago?

Pass the digital signal through coax/optical...or use the analog inputs for surround sound?

Thanks.

2. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Second Unit

I'd recommend that you get the player you want based on the best video - and then from there decide which method of decoding based on how it sounds with your equipment. For me, I got the Denon 2200 and I don't use it for DTS/Dolby Digital decoding - but I do use it for CDs/DVD-Audio and SACD over the analog cables.

3. Chris T. Kennedy

Oh yes. I will definitely pick it up based on the video quality - however I will probably be buying a fairly high-end player, so I was wondering what the possibilities were.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    A good quality player will almost certainly have better DACs than a receiver, however at the $300 price point that is a close race and will vary from player to player, as well as the fact that few players at this point will have better bass management than a receiver.

I also have a 2200 and I use it in much the same way as Tim. Movies are sent via digital allowing the receiver to manage the speaker settings, while the hi-rez audio formats are handled by the player (no choice for this).

A "high-end" player to me is over $1K (MSRP).

5. Chris T. Kennedy

I don't know. I think the high-end range is pretty large. Denon pushes up to and past the $1000 barrier, but why? There are other DVD players in the $300+ range that use some of the same video chips.

So I would see low/mid/high as:

[----][--------][------------------------------------]+

...and of course, according to the secrets shootout...every single one of the DVD players out there have problems. [​IMG] .....oh wait.... i mean... [​IMG]