Decoding by Pan. XP30 or Entry level receiver

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Misa, May 19, 2004.

1. Misa

Misa Auditioning

I am about to get a Panasonic XP30 dvd player and was wondering if I would get better audio performance for movies using its decoder and analog outs to my receiver's pre-amp inputs or just use optical out and let my entry level Onkyo 474 do the decoding? If so, does it matter what kind of analog cables I use? ie. does Radioshack work?

Thanks.

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

The next sound you'll hear is Pandora's box being opened... [​IMG]

3. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

To get full 5.1 channel sound you must use a receiver's decoder from the XP30's digital audio output. The XP30 doesn't have a builtin 5.1 channel audio decoder and only has stereo (2channel) analog outputs. The XP50 is the model which adds 5.1 channel analog output for DVD-audio capability.

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I've had a couple of Pannys with built-in decoders, an A-320 (perhaps one of the best non-progressive players ever) and a CP-72. Panasonic's decoders are actually quite good, more flexible and easier to set up than some other mfgs.

If you opt for dvd-a capability as in the XP-50 you will have to use the player's decoding for dvd-audio in any case.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Does the 474 even have multichannel analog inputs? I though the 575 was the first model in the lineup to have them at that time. If it doesn't then you can only get 5.1 via digital.

6. Misa

Misa Auditioning

Thanks all. I guess I'll stick with optical out to the receiver and let it do the decoding. The 474 does have preamp inputs but apparently the xp30 doesn't have 5.1 decoding. Do you think I would get noticable improvement buying a preamp and using that as the decoder and the 474 (40 watts) as an amp? At least until I can afford a dedicated amp. My speakers are Def. Tech. 2002 powered bi-polar towers.