Decoder Quality - Is there a difference??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan M, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

After much searching on the net, there seems to be a generally held opinion that one should opt for decoders in a receiver over on-board decoders in DVD Players.

After researching the actual chips etc. involved, it seems to me that any differences would be marginal at best.

Has anyone actually tried to switch between them and see if there is a discernable difference?

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who is prepared to do this. Just hook the DVD player up via 5.1 inputs and digital inputs and play a DVD. Make sure the dolby digital settings on the player are the same as that on the receiver, and turn off any additional processing etc. Then play a disk and switch between inputs.

Please post results as there seems to be an absense of this sort of info around.

Cheers
    Jonathan

2. Marty Neudel

Marty Neudel Stunt Coordinator

Jonathan,

I am moving the McIntosh MHT-100 to the den, and hve been checking out the Proceed AVP2 and the Lexicon MC-12. Feeding the analogue and digital output of my Elite DVL-91 to each of the above and listening to music, you can clearly hear that the Elite does not do as good a job as the other units.

Marty

3. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

Thanks for the reply, Marty.

Unfortunately the processors you mentioned are a little out of my price range - I know I'd WANT to hear a difference if I'd spent so much $$.

I'm looking at sound quality difference of DVD player decoders vs receiver decoders in the low-mid price range (Up to say $US600 or so)

Cheers
    Jonathan