What's new

Deco Wall Treatments (1 Viewer)

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
Having looked for wall treatments in the past and finding them too expensive, I built some of my own. They are covered with carpet material that seems to absorb reflected sound as effective as the rather large acoustic panels I had previously built. They measure about 40w x 52h so that they can be secured to wall studs 16” on center.

I am wondering if other Home Theater enthusiast would be interested in the purchase of these panels that could be offered in various color schemes and if so how much would they have to sell for? I seek info only for a market feasibility study.

Pictures of Panels

DaveMcFar

Grip
They look good. As far as the price I don't really know, but just wanted to let you know they look very good.

Dave McFarland

Dave-->

Auditioning
I think your panels look great! Certainly the scheme I am looking for in my HT room. Are the sconce included or did you add those in afterwards? My room already has finished walls so I have to go with something I can place on top the sheetrock. Let me know. Thanks

Dave

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
The lamp is a small 60W mini base. It could be incorporated in
a design. The ones shown are mounted where a sconce used to be. The lamp assembly would be part of the unit and I could use euro fittings to make it smaller for shipping.

Dave-->

Auditioning
Jim,
Can you explain your design a little more. I see you have three different triangle shaped pieces. Does each have dampening material or just the larger one? I believe were going with more browns/burgundy in our HT room. How would you change the colors? My biggest issue right now is how to dampen the sound in the room. These have style and function. Thanks.

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
The larger panels are the only sound absorbent areas. The others are painted MDF. It would be impossible to offer every color scheme but I could offer a primed only version for those outside of the normal blue and burgundy colors so common.

My room has three panels on each side and passes the hand clap test.

Brad E

Second Unit
Those look very nice. What kind of material is covering the bulb? The silver stuff.

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
The panels in front of the lamp are made of poplar and sprayed with a heavy rock-like texture. They are sprayed with high temp silver or gold. They do not get hot since the lamp is small. I orginally wanted metal but the cost was way out of sight.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Those look very nice, however I should point out that mere carpet can only really help with HF. Thicker absorption should probably be used for the best broadband performance, a few inches of fiberboard for instance.

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
ChrisWiggles,

Of course you're correct about the sound specs but my original idea was to re-create the 30's Art Deco look and in those days they were more decoration that anything else. Prior to placing these on the wall, I had accoustic panels made of sound board, batting and fabric. They were great for sound but didn't look very Deco. Since my room was 13X22 and very "lively", I basically wanted to surpress the reflected sound and the finished panels accomplished this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks