Decline of Western Civilization trilogy coming to DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Todd Stout, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

I just found an interview with Penelope Spheeris that fans of these films may find of interest:

PUNK'S NOT DEAD [IT JUST PASSED OUT]

I personally hope this means that The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years is going to FINALLY make it's way to DVD in the near future. I'd really like to see the other two films as well but part 2 is all about the music I grew up on.

2. dave wright

dave wright Agent

I grew up with the LA punk of decline #1 and would love to see this great flick out on dvd.Lets hope all of her films find their way to dvd.......soon!
    punk fans take note that one of the best band documentries ever- X : THE UNHEARD MUSIC will be relesed on dvd next tuesday jan 25th

3. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Part II is the music of my youth as well. Part I was also a cool flick. I haven't seen Part III, but I'm looking forward to it!

PS Todd, if you don't have it yet, you must check out the new Iron Maiden DVD -- over 5 hours on 2 discs, including 2 hours of concert footage from 1980, 1982 and 1983, a brand-new 90-minute documentary, and tons of other stuff. And it's only $12 at the Sony Online Store!!!

(Disclaimer: It just arrived yesterday, and I haven't watched it yet, but good grief, how can it go wrong???)

4. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

Hey Aaron,
    I picked up that Iron Maiden DVD a few weeks ago. I hadn't heard anything at all about it so I was quite surprised to see it sitting on the new CD/DVD table at the Best Buy near where I work. I've been listening to Iron Maiden since 1983 and they have been one of my favorite bands since I saw them live in 1987 so I of course had to buy that DVD right then and there. I agree with you 100%. It's a fantastic 2 DVD set.

I don't know if you've heard this or not but I recently read on the official Iron Maiden Web site that the next DVD release from them will be Live After Death. I can't wait for that!

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Yeah, I read that too. Powerslave was the album that got me into music beyond the top 40 and Live After Death was the very first LP that I really really wanted. Awesome!!!

That 2-disc set is only part 1 of The History Of Iron Maiden -- can't wait for part 2! (I wonder if Live After Death will be a part of it. . .)

6. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

Wow...Not only did I learn that the Decline "trilogy" was coming to DVD from this thread, but within 5 posts I found out about 2 other discs I didn't know were even out (the X and Maiden). I just ordered both.

I love the first 4 X albums (especially Under The Big Black Sun and the great More Fun In The New World) as I always found them one of the more tuneful and lyrically sharp of the late punk scene.

And early Iron Maiden had some of the best galloping bass riffs in metal.

Thanks guys! [​IMG]

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

8. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Put me down as another interested party in Part 2. I never liked punk music, so I have no interest in Part 1, but if I am forced to buy it, I will keep an open mind and check it out.

What style of music is Part 3 about? Grunge?

9. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Keep in mind that classic metal is far more popular than classic punk -- and when Part II came out, metal was at the height of its popularity. That's why there's more interest in Part II.

10. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

According to the article linked in the first post, it's about "Gutter Punk," which seems to be a collection of homeless weirdos in LA. Can't say as I have any interest in the music, but the film may be interesting.

The article also says that Spheeris was offered millions to make a Part III about hip-hop, but she "declined." [​IMG] (And good for her! Something tells me that the companies offering her millions weren't asking for material on hip-hop's underground era.)

11. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Hate to hijack this thread, but I checked out some of that new Maiden disc last night. . .god help me, I'm 14 again!!! Unbelievable stuff! Just brilliant.

12. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

I was getting a bit curious today about the status of Decline of Western Civilization on DVD so I did a bit of Google searching and found:

http://www.declinemovies.com/

Has anyone heard anything else about DVD releases of these films? Looks like the site hasn't been touched in awhile.

13. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Not a peep. [​IMG]

14. Jon Baker

Jon Baker Stunt Coordinator

I read somewhere that Spheeris was in the planning stages for a film about the punk band, The Germs.