Deck sealing question for Professionals

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Zatkoff, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Steve Zatkoff

Steve Zatkoff Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I'm the (relatively new)President of our Condo Assn. I asked our property manager to have our rear decks powerwashed and sealed. After the job was completed, I noticed that none of the main posts, crossbeams or railing posts were sealed(these decks are about 3.5 stories tall), only the planking and rails. Is this normal or should the contractor have done those parts as well. Our property manager asked and was told that wasn't part of the bid.

I had assumed that everything would have been sealed!

I will of course ask to review all bids in the future.

TIA,

Steve

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I just had my deck done, along with some other exterior painting. The painter powerwashed, primed and stained all exposed wood surfaces. I would expect nothing less.

3. Scott Reiss

Scott Reiss Agent

Generally, if it's been sealed previously, you shouldn't need to re-seal vertical surfaces as frequently as the horizontal surfaces. The horizontal surfaces take the impact of sun/heat/UV rays as well as pooling water whereas (of course) the impact on vertical surfaces is much less.

I'm not a professional on this, but this seems to be the general practice from my experience. Generally, I would seal everything inside the first year of construction, then the horizontal surfaces every two years, and the vertical surfaces as needed.

I think your expectation is reasonable that it should all have been done, but if that's what the contractor's bid was based on, well, you know the drill. Be careful of low bid...

The other thing I would consider when comparing bids is the materials used: what type of deck cleaner is used, and what type of sealant. There are varying types of materials and quality, and the minor extra expense in materials application will likely perform better for longer. Another common thing to consider with pressure treated decks is to periodically sand the surfaces, particularly railings where hands regularly touch, because the wood has a tendency to check and splinter over time.

4. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Actually powerwashing isn't recommended on decks. It does clean the wood but also does damage in the process. Use a good Deck Bleach/Cleaner that doesn't contain Chlorine. They can also be called Oxygen bleaches.

Jeff