What's new

Decisions studio 20's vs 40's.... (1 Viewer)

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Hi all... I think I have convinced myself to grab the paradigms being I am only a few hours from Canada...Now I am at a decisions on this: fyi "STUDIO CENTER" IS standard in all plans: 1.) 4 studio 20's(1142 USD)

2.) 40's for mains, 20's for surrounds(1286usd)

3.) 40's all around. (1430 usd)

Room is 11x13x8'...I use a marantz 8200 receiver and 2039pci SVS sub.

Any one of these look better for the approx. money? thanks much! tom

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Having recently demo'ed the 20's and 40's I would have to suggest 40's in front and 20's for the surrounds.

Realising the 40's are almost 2 feet tall and weigh 40 pounds each, they 'could' be a bit large for the surrounds.

For the extra dollars you WILL notice a difference between the 20's and 40's in the front. 2db more efficient and the extra Bass driver are 2 pluses that you can see from the specs.

I had a no brainer between the 20's and 40's in front. I'm deciding on the 20's or ADP's for the surrounds. My room is 15.5 x 15 x 8.

Only your ears will tell you the difference.

Michael_V

Second Unit
I just made this decision myself. I am going Studio 40s up front for the reasons above (slightly fuller sound) with 20s in the back.

Personally, when I am in doubt about a purchase, I usually lean toward the more robust of the two options I am considering, because I don't want to wonder later whether I "should have gotten the (fill in the blank) after all . . ."

My 2 cents.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Great replies! does the cost suffice the difference in any of your decisions? I mean, are the 40's worth the extra cost? I am hoping they go well with the SVS..My marantz should be ok for powering them correct? thanks for the responses so far!! tom

ernie.bin

Stunt Coordinator
I think if you can afford it, and the size isn't a big issue, the 40s are a good step up. If you listen to rock at all, the 40s hit hard. They stay cleaner when a lot of mid/low info comes through too.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
I agree with ernie. If size is not an issue then go with the 40's all around (145 more bucks than 20's in the rear, I doubt you would regret it).

Have a listen to all the setups you referred to at the dealers. They should have no problems hooking all 3 options up for you.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys! Again, will the sr8200 marantz bring the 40's to its limits or will I need more? I have the SVS also...I'm curious:) thanks again..tom

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
How powerfull is the marantz? I run them on a denon 4800, with external amp POA-5200 for the mains. I have no problems.

ernie.bin

Stunt Coordinator

actually, I was thinking just 40s in the front.

I'm a fan of smaller but timbre matched speakers in the back. So I'd personally stick studio20s in the back, but definitely 40s in the front

JohnFF

Agent
I'd go for 40s in front and 20s in back. Either option is good.

Your 8200 has more than enough for either configuration. Studio 100s would need more power but not the 40s.

As someone who runs Studio/60's up front and Studio/20's in the rear, this is a no-brainer. Buy the 40's for the front. You'll get better bass extension (there's a typo on the Paradigm website on the 40's frequency response). You'll get better volume. And if you step up to separates in the future, the difference will grow even more.

For the sweet deal you're getting, the extra ~$180 shouldn't even be a consideration.

-A.

altan

Stunt Coordinator
I found the Studio/40's to sound better than the Studio/20's. In an a/b test is was pretty obvious to me. For what it's worth, the sound between the Studio/60's and the Studio/40's was MUCH less noticable.

For the fronts, go with the 40's over the 20's.

... Altan

Michael_V

Second Unit
There are even some who feel the 40s give a little tighter bass than the 60s, so the 40s seem to me a no-brainer. . . .

Alan_MD

Grip
Just out of curiosity. I see a few people going for Studio 20s as surrounds instead of the Studio ADPs. Any particular reason pro or con?

I have Studio 40s as fronts and am getting ready to purchase the Studio CC and am not quite sure yet whether I should get Studio 20s or the ADPs for surrounds. Paradigms "recommended systems" only list Studio ADPs for surrounds.

Dave Ma

Stunt Coordinator
The studio ADP's are $900. Not cheap,you could use the ADP 370's instead and save some cash, thats the route I took.Some people want that direct sound at them and the Sudio 20's are much cheaper then the ADP studio's.:b

altan

Stunt Coordinator
I picked the 20's for the rears because

- the store I purchased from didn't have the ADPs so I couldn't hear them

- the 20s really sounded good

- my previous surrounds were direct and sounded good, so I knew direct surrounds can be very good

- finally, I thought about reuse. I can someday move my 20s into another room and use for normal stereo music if I desire (for example, if I upgrade speakers again). I couldn't do that with ADPs.

... Altan

TommyL

Supporting Actor
The 40's can't be against a wall either correct? As the 20's can be wall mounted if needed (I'm assuming)...anyone know? thanks for all the help! tom

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
You need some space behind the 40's as they are rear ported. 6-10" is good. You have to shelf mount them, they weigh 40lbs!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks