Decisions, Somebody Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Wawryk, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Jeff Wawryk

Jeff Wawryk Auditioning

Hi there,

I am currently trying out an Audio Refinement Multi 5 amp and using my Onkyo Tx-ds898 as a pre-amp. The multi 5 amp made a very nice sonice improvement over the internal amps in the Onkyo.

I'm thinking of buying a Rotel RSP-1066 processor to replace the Onkyo or returning the Audio Refinement amp and get a Pioneer Elite VSX-49Txi instead and use it for everything. Maybe add a Bryston to the 49Txi in the future.

I use my system about 50/50 Music movies.

What do you guys think?

Jeff

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Jeff

Welcome to the forum.

Each amp will have its own "sonic signature". These differences though subtle, are real. You seem happy with the Audio Refinement, but it probably wouldn't have the reserve power of the Parasound or Rotel. If reserve power plays a big part in your decision that might narrow your choice down to 2. There are rave reviews of both the Parasound and the Rotel.

Which "sonic signature" would be most important to you I don't think anyone else can judge for you.

Artie

3. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

That would be a tough decision Jeff.

I have listened to the Rotel. But, I can tell you I don't think it was hooked up right 'cause the sound thru some Paradigms was not great. I think alot of people like it here on this forum.

I also beleive the 49 is a great piece. Probably can't go wrong.

Mike

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The 49 is a MONSTER, and it sounds wonderful. Serious amps, yet still probably not as good as a stand alone amp and a processor. That IS a tough choice, but you don't say what speakers you are driving in what configuration. That could be a large factor.

5. Jeff Wawryk

Jeff Wawryk Auditioning

Well thanks for the welcome.

Speakers are B&W CDM9NT for fronts and CDMCNT for center.
    Boston VR-MX for Rears.

Jeff