What's new

Decisions? nOrh LeAmp vs Marantz MA500 (1 Viewer)

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
I have been looking at the high praise the nOrh LeAmps are receiving. I currently own 5 Marantz MA500s, I am very happy with these, but the recent trends towards purchase direct from factory for bang for the buck has been appealing to me. My latest, the SVS CSUltra has been blue ribbon winner.
My system consists of a Marantz AV560 Pre/Pro, Panasonic A310 DVD, Marantz MA500's for the M&K LCR 55 speakers, a MA700 for the SVS CS ultra, connects from BetterCables, AudioQuest and a Max Rochlin Digital Cable.
The M&K's are 4ohms. Listen to about 30%music 70%movies. I am mainly wondering if this warrants the brain power to research more in pursuing the nOrh LeAmps or forget about it and watch a movie. I would only look at using these for the M&K's as the MA700 is working beautifully with the SVS. Thanks in advance to replies. :)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
IMO if you're looking to upgrade your HT experience then upgrade the pre amp, if you're looking to upgrade your 2 channel performance upgrade the mains. You could also try looking at your sources or add an external DAC but I'd start with a more musical set of mains.
------------------
http://www.mts.net/~glendap/
[Edited last by Andrew Pratt on October 21, 2001 at 10:37 PM]

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
Agree with Anthony. I own Bryston amps & am demo-ing a pair of LeAmps, that I have an option to buy from a friend. After 5 days, my Brystons are for sale. The Brystons are much better amps than the Marantz monoblocks, IMO. Which means the Marantz really isn't in the same league as the LeAmp. Plus nOrh is implementing an improvement in the next batch of LeAmp that should improve their sound even more (the next batch is gonna be DC coupled, eliminating a capacitor in the signal path).
The LeAmp will have no problem with a 4 ohm load, but I agree with the others, that you can also look to other areas as well. Check around & demo different speakers. M&K makes good speakers for HT apps, but do not offer the "bang for the $$" that SVS or nOrh offer. I'm not familiar w/the pre-pro, so I can't offer any advice there. One thing I will observe is that I don't think changing out the DVD player will affect the sound much, as long as you are using a digital input to the pre/pro. Changing the pre/pro would have more affect on the sound than changing the DVD player would.

Due N

Grip
I agree with Tyson. But Tyson only heard the stock LeAmp. I've heard both the stock LeAmp and the LeAmp without the DC blocking capacitor. There's no comparison between the two. The modded LeAmp is in a different league, IMHO. The next batch of LeAmp will not have the DC blocking capacitor. I understand most hi-end amps don't either.

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
David,
There is a person selling 2 of the modded LeAmps for $220 each over at harmonicdiscord.com - look in the for for sale section. Personally I can't wait to hear the modded LeAmps, especially with DueN's endorsement (I trust his "ear" quite a bit).
Oh yeah, I think I am going to swap out the stock green LED power indicator with a cool violet/blue led, similar to what Krell uses. Its a good look. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks