Decisions, Decisions.....Which speaker system to choose Boston Vr or Energy C7?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Brian Tomasko, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Brian Tomasko

Brian Tomasko Auditioning

I don't poost that much but do a lot of searching and reading on this Forum..... I noticed that there aren't too many Boston owners but I know they're secretly out there lurking in these pages......... Anyway..........I am undecided as to whether go for a Boston Acoustics Vr2 or Vr3 versus Energy C7 Connoiseur line........... Please give me your thoughts, opinions and or reviews if you own any of these spaekers.... Thankxxxxx!

2. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

LOL!! Yes us Boston folks are hiding around here...ready to pounce on the first thread that has BOSTON in the title!!

I own Vr3's and absolutely LOVE 'EM!! I think they give a huge amount of bang for the buck. The bass is low but stays tight. the mids are nice without being too pronounced and the highs are amazing. The Vrho tweeter is an aluminum dome tweeter that is very sensitive (93db) and is amazingly detailed without being harsh. I have never heard of and Energy's so I can't comment on them but I have heard very good things about them.
    I will now say the thing that everyone says and what I am sure you were expecting .......Go out and auditiont these speakers because your ears are the only ones that can determine what you like. If possible ask for an in-home audition so you can better hear the speakers qualities when hooked up to your gear,
    What will you be using the speakers for?? Music, Movies....or both? This goes a long way when deciding. I got the 3's because we listen to a ton of music and watch a lot of movies.....kind of 50/50.

3. Ray Tsui

Ray Tsui Stunt Coordinator

A vote for the Energy's here

The Boston VR series are very good speaker, but it almost seemed too lively sounding. It was fun to listen to but it just didn't seem as accurate. I was very impressed than I thought I would be though, I wouldn't stop anybody from buying these.

The Energy seems to be the more neutral of the two speakers. They border on the bright side depending on what you are driving them with (I don't consider them bright sounding, but they seem to have excellent clarity, and detail). The bass is very tight, and I really like the way the Energy seems to have a nice full midrange, lots of body without sounding too forward.

Anyway, as the above poster said, you really have to hear them. They sound different enough that you should prefer one over the other. I think the Bostons are great speakers and somewhat underrated, but the Energy's won me over with their overall accuracy.

4. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I considered Energy Connoiseur speakers vs Boston Acoustics VR-Ms (VRBs weren't out yet and I wanted bookshelf speakers) and while I liked both, the Bostons eventually won out (my wife found the Energy line too harsh with higher frequencies--though I found them fine). The VR series is a more appropriate matchup, price-wise, and they are very close to the VR-Ms (I use the VRC centre as it was too close to the VR-MC to warrant the extra cost). Both are excellent speakers. Unlike Ray Tsui I found the Bostons more accurate (just goes to show you how subjective this is), but serious auditioning should reveal a winner (and either one will be a great set). Good luck and have fun.