What's new

Decisions, decisions. What to buy next? long (1 Viewer)

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Hey guys. I just wanted opinions of you guys if you were in my situation. Okay, I just purchased the Aragon 2007 7 ch amp @ 200 wpc @ 8ohms. I am purchasing the Anthem AVM-20 v1.0 from a local dealer next week, (putting deposit down tomorrow) and then having the AVM-20 upgraded to the 2.0 DSP and software. Now, once the rest of my stuff sells, I am faced with an interesting decision.

Now, the rest of my stuff sells, I will have $3400, and this is after the AVM is purchased. That $3400 is EXACTLY the cost of the Rocket Loudspeakers Ultra package (2 sets of towers), PLUS the dipoles. Equaling 7 speakers, completing my HT, sorta. I also just recently purchased a MINT nOrh CD-1. So I have the CD player covered. The Aragon 2007 should also do just dandy for 2ch, and the AVM is obviously sufficient for 2 ch as well.

Here is my dilemma. Currently, I only have the Pioneer DV-444 dvd player. The silver slim one. It basically sucks. Now, what I am contemplating doing, is forgoing either the extra set of towers in the Rocket set for now, or forgoing the dipoles in the set for now, in order to purchase the Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai, or the Onkyo SP-800. Both players are DVD-A, SACD, Progressive Scan DVD players. Is it worth dropping a set of speakers to basically go with a 5.1 speaker set for now,(eventually getting another set of speakers for 7.1) to get a DVD player that is much better quality with the added function of DVD-A and SACD? I figure that 90% fo the dvd's out are 5.1 anyway and it may not be a big deal to wait a little extra longer for the 7 speaker setup. What are your opinions?

Second dilemma, if I do get one of these players, which one? I have never been a fan of Pioneer really, but the new pioneer has the firewire 1394. However, its not THX certified. The Onkyo is THX Ultra cert, however, no firewire. Again, am I putting too much faith in the THX Ultra cert? Now, I will eventually get another DVD player when the DVI and HD-DVD comes out, but I would like this player to be the only one I buy as a multi format player. Should the THX Ultra and the Onkyo name win out over the future-proof of the Pioneer's firewire? They look pretty much identical in everything else. 12 bit video, 192/24, and 96/24. I think both also use Burr Brown DAC's.

Now, I am only comming up with these solutions because I am counting on talking my wife into letting me get the SVS ultra sub with taxes. Possibly also the set of speakers to complete 7.1 or even a new tv. But, at least the sub.

Please tell me in your opinion if you think a 7 speaker setup should win out over a better multiplayer format DVD. And, which DVD player would you get between the Pioneer Elite and the Onkyo, and why.

I still have a crappy JVC 27" tv, but I have been waiting for the DVI-HDCP tv's. Fate of the TV is unknown. I am getting all of the audio out of the way first, so please, no TV suggestions yet. Thanx guys, so sorry for the novel, but I would like as many suggestions as possible.

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
I think this was a really crappy title for this post. hmmm. Is it because its too long? I wish I could change the title. :frowning:

Cam S

Screenwriter
I can't offer you much advice as I'm not familiar with the hardware in question, but give it some time, there are lots of people that will be able to help you. It seems as though the most action happens during the day when everyone is at work, kinda funny actually.

Btw, very nice amp choice!

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Don't know if the mentioned DVD / combo hi-rez players cut it from an audio perspective, but my take is that you'll get more enjoyment from upgrading to support SACD and DVD-A then you would from 2 rear surround speakers. I am assuming you care enough about music based on your other purchases to make this a no-brainer (except for the issue of what players to purchase).

IMHO

Doug

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I would definitely go with a new multi-format player over the speakers. You can enjoy SACD, DVD-audio and better picture quality NOW rather than two extra speakers which you may or may not find worth right now.

As for which player, I would see if your local dealer has one or both and take them home to audition them. I'm assuming that you are going to buy these locally. If you are willing to purchase a player at this price I'm sure a dealer would be happy to let you take them home to audition them. Let your ears, and system, decide which is the better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks