What's new

Decisions, decisions - Buying 4:3 HDTV (1 Viewer)

TimPaul

Auditioning
Hello all,
I'm looking for a little bit of advice on a new HDTV. I'm considering buying a new 4:3 HDTV in the next month or so. I've decided on a 4:3 for a number of reasons, but most importantly 75% cable viewing, so please do not tell me I should be getting a 16:9 set :)
I'm looking at a few different 43" sets. My viewing distance will be about 10 - 12 feet, so I believe that a 43" set will be appropriate. Here is what I have narrowed it down to.
Sony KP43HT20
This set is currently my front runner. I like the picture (after turning down the brightness & contrast) and the automatic 16:9 squeeze for DVD is a must for me.
Toshiba 43HX71
Also like the picture, but the Sony just seems to squeak it out in my mind.
Hitachi 43FDX20B
New kid on the block (at least to me), a salesman pointed it out to me last trip to the store. Don't know too much about it. Salesman seemed to be really impressed by the various zoom modes on, but in my mind not that important.
So, in short, I'm looking for some feedback from current owners of the sets or screaming reasons why I shouldn't by one the sets.
Thanks in advance

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Tim:

I could be wrong....but it's my understanding in the states the true spec for HDTV is 16x9, so the FCC has stated that 4:3 screens are not considered HD sets, but are called digital or labeled something else (which I don't remember). I'd double check the specs to make sure your getting all other aspects that make up a true HD (sans the screen dimensions).

Good Luck
Ron

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

They are all decent sets with 16:9 HD modes.

Hitachi is the hardest of the three to fully calibrate. Toshiba is easiest.

sony is in between.

Regards

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
To add to what Michael just said, as long as a 4:3-native set has a 16:9 mode into which a 1080i signal can be fed, it qualifies as an "HDTV" (or HD-ready TV).

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I stand corrected. Here is a good overview of HD equipment definitions:
http://www.digitalconnection.com/FAQ/HDTV_6.htm
I know that a couple of years ago, when I was in the market they redefined the HD equipment definitions....at that point, the screen had to be 16x9. A 4x3 screen, even with the ability to display a 16x9 image wasn't classified as an HD set.
Thanks for the correction.
Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks