What's new

Decision time, What would you do. (1 Viewer)

Sebastian

Second Unit
Okay I have enough money to buy two rear surrounds (a must) and two options:

1. I could buy the JBL PB-12 for my sub and that's it

or,

2. I could buy the Sony SA WM-40 sub and upgrade my center channel.

What do you guys think?

Martice

Screenwriter
What are you using for mains? If you have fullrange or large speakers that can at least give you some low end information, you can pass on the sub for now. If not, maybe you can go with a phantom center setup if you really want bass with your movies immediately.

Sebastian

Second Unit
Yeah unfortunatly I have bookshelf speakers for mains, in other words no bass output from them.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I'd get the sony and upgrade the center channel. Then you can use your old center channel as a rear surround for 6.1 if you can.

If you have 5.1 and are a HT bass fanatic then I'd get the PB12.

Sebastian

Second Unit
No name mains and center channel. Came with my onkyo receiver. They look a lot like the HTD level I speakers.

So the PB-12 has a lot more bass?

I have been reading the archive on the two subs and looks like they be very similar in bass response. I may be wrong though because I have not heard either one.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
i think the general consensus here is that the sony wa40 will outperform the more closely priced PB10, but that the pb12 will give you better performance, but costs more.

normally, you would want to keep the mains and center in the same family, but since you have no name mains and center i would probably suggest you get the sony and a good center (since hey, the most important stuff in most movies, the dialog comes from the center), preferably in a family with mains you like to, so you can upgrade to them some time in the future.

but thats just my opinion. there are those here who are much more educated in these matters...

Sebastian

Second Unit
Yeah I was thinking on buying the the center from HTD level II and later purchasing the two mains that go with it.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
What I would do is get Paradigm Titan mains and either the CC-170 center or SA-WM40 sub or go with the Adire Audio Rava. Either one would make a big improvement to your system.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
im no expert, but it seems to me he has a ~300 dollar budget and im guessing the paradigms will go over by a bit...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks