Decision Time: Axioms Lead the List

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Brad Scott, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Agent

I'm prepared to spring for Axioms. I've done some research, and these speakers now lead my shortlist of top choices.

I was planning on using the M3tis for fronts, and the M2is for rears. My room is 21 X 13, so I'm now wondering if I can get away with two pairs of M2is and a sub instead of the M3tis up front. What do you think?

For the price and performance, which other bookshelf speakers compare favorably to the Axiom M3ti or M2i? At $275 and $255 respectively, these speakers seem like great deals.

Am I on the right track, or am I leaving out a worthy competitor?

2. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    Hi Brad,

I'm in the same boat as you. Ready to spring for new speakers, but hung up on what brand/models to choose.

A speaker in direct competition (comparision?) to the M3ti/M22ti is the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170

Like the M3ti, 99% of the reviews for the CBM-170 are not just favorable, but GLOWING.

From what I have read, a lot of it comes down to personal preferance and your appreciation/tolerance for each speaker's strengths and weaknesses. As well as your opinion of the 170's industrial black cabinetry...which I don't find particularly appealing, though I do like the flush mounting of the drivers.

Either one of these speakers needs to be used with a sub for HT use. You just can't get thump or room-shaking bass with a 6" driver; physics makes it impossible.

I'm a bass-head and use the sub with both music and HT. If i can't feel it from my listening position, turn it off. [​IMG]

Others will chime in; I'm a newb here myself. [​IMG]

3. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

You all might want to check the new ELT package from av123.com which has been getting great reviews. I have not had the opportunity to listen to it myself yet. The whole thing is like $899 with the sub.

4. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

Brad Scott,

I think both the Axoims and Ascends will do the trick for you. As far as others that haven't been mentioned here, I would throw in a vote for the Onix ELT package that they currently have on sale for $899.00 for a full 5.1 package. You can find more info here www.av123.com on the ELT's as well as other Onix products. Good luck with your decision! [​IMG]

5. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    Heh, once you start reading all the reviews on the other speakers, you'll be just as undecided and confused as I am. [​IMG]

My CC is staying zipped up in my wallet until I make a firm decision. Should happen by Christmas or so. [​IMG]

6. JohnnyCasaba

JohnnyCasaba Agent

Hello Brad,

Not sure where in PA you are located, but I am in Philly and have an Ascend setup (4 CBM-170's, 1 CMT-340) that you are more than welcome to audition. Not trying to steer you away from your Axiom choices, but if you are interested in hearing the Ascends, just let me know.

7. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Agent

Well, I just looked at the Rocket ELT package. If those speakers sound half as good as they look -- whoa! BEAUTIFUL speakers!

How do these compare with the Axioms? Is it a toss-up, or does one just simply sound better than the other?

Thanks!

8. David*RT

David*RT Stunt Coordinator

The ELT package is just toooo new to really form a more objective opinion and comparison to the Ascends or Axioms.

I'd stick with the tried and true Axioms or Ascends as they've been "tossed" and compared left, right, up, down and come out consistently GLOWING. Plus, both have won Speake of the YEAR awards. You can't get better than that. [​IMG]

If I was in this boat, it would be Axioms or Ascends.

Over the years, I've seen "flavor of the month" speakers ultimately get banged later on in comparisons.

I'm not saying the ELT are in this boat, just yet. It's just way too early to tell to take a plunge in an unproven product. Maybe after 6 months of online comparison reviews are in, one could get a better handle on this ELT package.

After all, $800+ is a hell of a lot of money to toss for unproven "pretty" speakers. I'd let the more adventurous go out and test. Heck, even in 6 months, if the ELTs came thru shining in reviews, it would just be PART of the extreme bang/buck Axiom and Ascend pantheon. The jury is STILL out on this one.

If I was buying NOW, no question it'd be the tried and true.......Axiom or Ascend.

9. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug
    AV123 makes some *fantastic* speakers, and I'm sure that the Onix ELTs are no exception. Their RS250s are awesome as well. And when you get right down to it, Axiom and Ascend aren't tried and true to anyone who hasn't actually heard them personally. No speakers are. Yes many people buy and like them, but the only way to really evaluate speakers is to listen to them in YOUR room with YOUR equipment. That point cannot be stressed enough. Lots of people like Bose products, but would you?

If I were buying now I'd whittle my choices down to two or three contenders, order them all, listen to them in-house, then return what I don't like. All of these manufacturers offer money back guarantees on their products. The return shipping on the losers would be negligable considering the money you'll save buying direct.

10. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

As far as internet direct speakers go, I have heard the Rocket ELT(in my home), RS150(in my home), RS750, and RSC200; Onix Ref1; Axiom M22(in my home), M60(in my home), VP150, QS8; ACI Panorama; Aperion 522D(in my home); SVS 20-39PC+(in my home); and I own Ascend CBM-170's and CMT-340's (l/r and center versions), and a Hsu VTF-3.

Some I like and some I don't. Listen to the speakers yourself. Don't put a lot of weight into what people are telling you, especially if they have not heard the speakers in question.

11. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug

I realize that and was just pointing out that speakers, more than any other piece of audio equipment, really *require* an in-home listen to be evaluated properly - reviews, online opinions, etc. notwithstanding.

12. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Look into the Energy C-1. They usually retails for $300.00/pair, but I picked up my pair for $275.00. Excellent sound and build quality.

When I was looking for speakers about a year ago, I was lucky enough to have a dealer across the street from my workplace that carried the Axiom M3Ti. I listened to them extensively, but to my ears at least, they didn't excite me the way the Energy's did. Just another option.

[​IMG]