Decision & Question Between Tosh and Mits

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Doroshenk, Jul 18, 2002.

1. John Doroshenk

I'll be getting an wide screen tv probably in September and have narrowed it down to either the Toshiba 57, I think I'll wait for the 57HDX82 or the Mitsubishi 55819.
    I was doing a comparisons on this website:
    ecoustics.com comparision and noticed that the toshiba's progressive scan is 540 and the Mitsubishi is 480. Does that up conversion make alot of noticeable difference. That could be my deciding factor.
    I'm not to worried about the DVI/Firewire issue between tv's.
    I originally was leaning towards the Toshiba, but I'm beginning to question the reliability. Most posts about Toshiba's are technical problems like, x or y is messed up, but with the Mitsubishi posts its more how do i do this kind of posts. Makes me wonder. Anyone out there have an opinion about this? Thanks

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Check out the Keohihdtv site for some info on what the 540P upconversion on the new Toshiba sets looks like. Then come back here with any more questions.

Regards

3. John Doroshenk

Man, Michael, you are always on these boards and help everyone out, thanks. Funny you put that up there today and I ask this question. I hadn't gotten around to checking out the heohihdtv site yet today. Oh well, back to the issue

you say:

4. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Michael,

Great article. One question. I recall reading somewhere that the Tosh 82 series was keeping the 540p upconvert of 480i but not 480p. Do you know anything about that?

5. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Put that in the fog of war category. It was merely a rumor at the time. Actual empirical evidence tells us otherwise.

Regards

6. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings John

Please keep in mind that all sets have their own set of quirks or demons if you will. I have seen some pretty bad Mits units just as I have seen bad Toshiba units. There are some aspects of Mits sets that cannot be addressed in calibration that can be in Toshibas and vice versa ...

Since I am not a repair man, I cannot address the reliability issue on the TV sets.

Regards

7. Jacinto

Jacinto Second Unit

Jacinto
    Michael,
    WHAT?!! You mean you don't walk around in coveralls with an oily rag in your back pocket?![​IMG]
    My brother's an ISF certified calibrator here in Colorado, and he's been called for a few doozies. The guy figured his TV needed calibration since it wasn't working right. The problem? The set wouldn't POWER ON anymore. My bro had to excuse himself with a "Sorry, sir, I can't help you with THAT..."